The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 4 of 33

QUOTE If we focus on 'following the - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Sep, 2003 - 1:59am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (33) »

Are Mormons meant to follow blindly? We may say no, but if you disagree what do you do? Pray UNTIL you believe? Should we believe that all that is written and said by the Modern Prophets is correct and infallible? If so, then why do we have to pray about it? Is it for us to believe what they say or really to find out if that is what we ought to be doing? Controversial Mormon Issue.
The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Related Information to The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
27th Aug, 2003 - 1:08pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 4

JB, in Nighthhawlk post he says  that he doesn't 'demand' that statement from the Prophet either...so I suppose he doesn't expect that in General Conference...but again...he is the one to answer in this one. smile.gif

Sponsored Links:
27th Aug, 2003 - 5:14pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

See reply #17 above. No to sound rude, but I have been in closer quaters with these Brethren before and I can tell you that if you expect that 'info' at General Conference, you are wasting your time, if you want to hear the 'behind the scenes', the 'mysteries' as it were, then you would also have to be 'in that setting'. Otherwise we are as people in the wide and spacious building pointing our finger at what should be.

You could be rude?

I know people who are all bent out of shape that President Hinckley never says "thus saith the Lord." Even more so that he didn't positively state that he is a Prophet when he was interviewed by Mike Wallace. Personally, that is not an issue with me.

If he does receive a revelation, which changes the way we are to live, or changes the way we understand doctrine, I do expect him to definitively state that it is from the Lord.

Otherwise, I have to assume it is his opinion. It may be wise. It may be smart. But it is still opinion. I am not bound by opinion.

This is why I say that just because the Prophet says so, it isn't enough. We must rely on the Spirit, not the arm of flesh.

NightHawk

Post Date: 4th Sep, 2003 - 7:56pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
A Friend

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Studies Doctrine Mormon

The prophet is the lords oracle on earth he works directly with him follow the prophet, follow the prophet, follow the prophet, remember Amos 3:7.

4th Sep, 2003 - 10:03pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

The prophet is the lords oracle on earth he works directly with him follow the prophet, follow the prophet, follow the prophet, remember Amos 3:7.

Where, in scripture, does it say this?

On the other hand, the scriptures do say to rely on the Spirit, not on the 'arm of flesh.'

As I have said earlier, I am perfectly willing to follow the Prophet, as long as I get confirmation from the Spirit (which all of the Prophets have urged us to do). But following the Prophet is meant to help us until we reach the point where we don't need to follow the Prophet. Once we see into Eternity, we are prophets unto ourselves.

NightHawk

4th Sep, 2003 - 11:04pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

Where, in scripture, does it say this?

Like the man said, 'Amos:7' - The Lord will do nothing save in the first instance he reveals His secrets to His Prophet.

Nighthawk, I keep seeing you wrestling with this... I think we understand your point about reaching a 'level' of spirituality that enables you to be blessed with truth of God's will. This will happen, it will happen one day, but for now, all of us have to follow the Prophet, what may be received for one individual for himself is not necessarily good for all, hence we hear one voice for all.

Post Date: 5th Sep, 2003 - 3:06pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I have been a member for 15yrs now.  I have come to rely on the words of the living prophets to guide me in whatever I have done over the past years.  I have not regret a word or phase that have been spoken by the Lord's mouth piece here on the earth.  At the begining of conference I sustain the Prophet to love, obey and follow all teachings that is given.  Yes, what the prophet says goes and I will not question I will just go and do.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Sep, 2003 - 1:49am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough - Page 4

I was led to a document that is very interesting and germane to this discussion. It is a copy of a talk by Elder Ezra Taft Benson, from April 6, 1965 General Conference. He put into words what I have been trying to say, so I will quote parts of it here. I can send the entire file to someone if they need it, but it is on GospeLink.

In 1831 the Lord said this to his Church:

"For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

"Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
"For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

"But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned." (D&C 58:26-29.)

Usually the Lord gives us the overall objectives to be accomplished and some guidelines to follow, but he expects us to work out most of the details and methods.  The methods and procedures are usually developed through study and prayer and by living so that we can obtain and follow the promptings of the Spirit.  Less spiritually advanced people, such as those in the days of Moses, had to be commanded in many things.  Today those spiritually alert look at the objectives, check the guidelines laid down by the Lord and his prophets, and then prayerfully act without having to be commanded in all things.  This attitude prepares men for godhood.

The overall objective to be accomplished in missionary work, temple work, providing for the needy, and bringing
up our children in righteousness has always been the same; only our methods to accomplish these objectives have varied.  Any faithful member in this dispensation, no matter when he lived, could have found righteous methods to have carried out these objectives without having to wait for the latest, specific church-wide program.

Sometimes the Lord hopefully waits on his children to act on their own, and when they do not, they lose the greater prize, and the Lord will either drop the entire matter and let them suffer the consequences or else he will have to spell it out in greater detail.  Usually, I fear, the more he has to spell it out, the smaller is our reward.

Often, because of circumstances, the Lord, through revelation to his prophets or through inspired programs designed by faithful members which later become adopted on a church-wide basis, will give to all the membership a righteous means to help accomplish the objective....

I know that I haven't been completely clear in what I have been trying to say here. I got frustrated and couldn't get the message across. I still feel that I need to attain the level where I don't need anyone else as a prophet for me.

However, the talk by Elder Benson, quoted above, brings up some other points of interest.

If we focus on 'following the Prophet' to the exclusion of all else, then we aren't 'anxiously engaged' in our own salvation. I personally have been in this situation, and I know many people who are. They wait, and wait for a 'program' from the Church before they (we) get involved. Thus, as Elder Benson said, we lose the greater reward.

His talk was especially about us being involved in the political arena, defending and supporting freedom. But he also talked about the more spiritual things.

So, to go back to the original title of this thread, no, 'The Prophet said so' and it isn't enough. My assertion again is that when the Prophet says something, it is the MINIMUM, but most of us treat it as the MAXIMUM that we should be doing.

NightHawk

between: I strongly suggest that everyone read all of the talk by Elder Benson.

7th Sep, 2003 - 1:59am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

If we focus on 'following the Prophet' to the exclusion of all else

I see where you are coming from now, but I doubt anyone is in an extreme state where they become as 'zombies' in their 'following' the Prophet. Actually I think it is quite the opposite... if the Church would actually do 1/3 what the Prophet said we ought to do then we would be much better off, but it is mostly talk... most people profess to follow and do something else. Indeed there are those here as in the days of Moses.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (33) »

> TOPIC: The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,