The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 9 of 33

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 26-Mar 04, 12:40 PM) The - Page 9 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Mar, 2004 - 5:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 33 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (33) »

Are Mormons meant to follow blindly? We may say no, but if you disagree what do you do? Pray UNTIL you believe? Should we believe that all that is written and said by the Modern Prophets is correct and infallible? If so, then why do we have to pray about it? Is it for us to believe what they say or really to find out if that is what we ought to be doing? Controversial Mormon Issue.
The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Related Information to The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
26th Mar, 2004 - 2:07pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 9

Prophets write the scriptures.

This may seem so simple... but it is true: We have a living Prophet and when speaking in that capacity from his lips also comes scripture. For you to know if it be true or not is up to you, but it does not change what it is... if you have found something that one of our modern day Prophets have said that is out of sync with the recorded word then I would like for you to share it with us and we can discuss it.

Sponsored Links:
26th Mar, 2004 - 2:30pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

Hi, Tenaheff, Brigham Young was right to say what he said. If faced with a choice in which we had to choose between the scriptures and the living oracles, he (and me) will choose the living oracles.

The living oracles cannot say anything contrary to the scriptures, if they do they are out of place.

Please explain to me how this two quotes don't contradict each other. I am sincerely trying to understand your position regarding Brigham's statement, but so far it seems like double-talk to me.

26th Mar, 2004 - 4:14pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think I'll jump in here. (Big surprise, right???) wink.gif

I was just shown some very interesting information about Elder Richard G. Scott. Based on this, I have started looking for his talks that are available. They are extremely enlightening on this subject.

In the Layton Northridge Stake, in May 1992, he gave a talk. The gist of it is contained in this statement:

Elder Scott then wrote on the blackboard "Come unto Ch", and
then said - Brethren, I am concerned about a very serious problem in
the Church and it is that we have been teaching each other to come
unto What? He said he feared we have been teaching each other to come
unto Church, when we should have been teaching each other to Come
Unto Christ. He stated that he has attended many testimony meetings
and sacrament meetings lately where the members will bear testimony
that they believe the church is true, but hardly anyone ever
testifies that they believe in Christ, nor do they tell of their love
for Christ.

Also:
He said, "now here is the point I want to make. DO NOT PUT
YOURSELF BETWEEN CHRIST AND ONE OF HIS CHILDREN, so that you block
the path. AND DO NOT PUT THE CHURCH IN THE PLACE OF CHRIST!"

He elaborated on how we as leaders are really servants, to
teach others how to establish "A DIRECT LINK TO CHRIST". He explained
that the real purpose of the Church was to bring the members unto
Christ and that our only purpose as leaders was to serve the members
by teaching them how to get to Christ and to live the fulness of the
gospel.

At the moment, I am reading the book Spiritual Progression in the Last Days by Blaine Yorgason. In it, he has some extremely interesting information, including 7 levels of spiritual progression.
1. Enemy to God
2. Stranger and foreigner
3. Fellow citizen with the Saints (members, not very active)
4. Servant or handmaiden of God (active members, hold callings, serve)
5. Son or daughter of Jesus Christ (experienced baptism of the Holy Ghost, mighty change of heart, adopted into the family of Christ)
6. Elect of God (after becoming sons and daughters, "hear (the Lord's) voice and harden not their hearts" (D&C 29:7, D&C 33:6); have pressed forward no matter the opposition)
7. Joint heirs with Jesus Christ (Calling and Election made sure)

Each of us must move along this continuum, on our own. The purpose of the Church is to help us move along it. Most Latter-day Saints seem to stop at the 4th level. Joseph Smith taught that it is up to us how far we go, but that most of us, including angels, will "set up stakes" or personal limitations and say, "I cannot go any further." Which is a self-fulfilling prophecy. (Words of Joseph Smith, pp. 244-47, 256)

The more I study, especially concerning the Last Days, the more sure I am that if we insist on "following the Prophet" without first getting confirmation of every point, the more likely we are to suffer some very intense personal tribulations.

NightHawk

26th Mar, 2004 - 4:26pm / Post ID: #

Page 9 Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

The more I study, especially concerning the Last Days, the more sure I am that if we insist on "following the Prophet" without first getting confirmation of every point, the more likely we are to suffer some very intense personal tribulations.

I agree 100% with this statement. I just happen to believe if the prophet counsels us to do something or act a particular way in his capacity as prophet, we will get confirmation of it, not be told otherwise. I don't believe the prophet will be allowed to lead us astray. In other words, if he were to intentionally attempt to do so, he would be removed. If he counselled us in error, through his human traits, I believe the Lord would chasten or correct him and he would then correct his position.

This doesn't mean I follow blindly. If I have difficulty with something the prophet teaches, I should pray about it, maybe fast, etc. The Lord will then confirm it to me specifically. I just don't think I need to do this for every thing he says. Only if I have difficulty with what he says or I am uncomfortable about it. However, I also believe I must be honestly seeking confirmation, and not kidding myself about my motives.

26th Mar, 2004 - 4:32pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

Good post Nighthawk, and of course I am not surprised that you are in it again wink.gif I agree with all that you said but I must say... you folks must be around some 'strange' members if you feel the need to emphasize all the time that you have to gain your own testimony of truth rather than follow blindly. I will mention that we must remember that everyone joins the Church for a different reason and so when they have joined without the Spirit, to them their only source of truth is what they hear or see. Recently my wife and I were talking about how most members look at the face value of everything... they see the education, wealth and look of a member rather the spirit of the same, but that is another thread.

26th Mar, 2004 - 5:30pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 26-Mar 04, 11:32 AM)
you folks must be around some 'strange' members if you feel the need to emphasize all the time that you have to gain your own testimony of truth rather than follow blindly.

Obviously you don't have a lot of experience with "Zion" in Utah, and the Intermountain West. Even here, in Michigan, the general attitude is one of "follow the Prophet" with no thought whatsoever. Most members, in my experience, wouldn't consider checking with the Lord on anything that the Prophet has said. And this leads to a lot of confusion, and even false doctrine being taught.

I will give a couple of examples.

One of the most commonly cited books, for many years, was Mormon Doctrine. Since the author of the book was an Apostle, obviously the book was entirely correct. I am not kidding, people would look to this book before even considering going to the Book of Mormon. All this despite the fact that the book was written and published BEFORE Elder McConkie was called as a General Authority. All this despite the fact that the First Presidency seriously considered asking him to stop the publication of the book because of the many errors in doctrine. Eventually they decided to let it go, because to ask him to withdraw it from publication would hurt his reputation so much that they would not be able to have him serve in any public capacity, and he was a tremendous scholar and speaker.

Another example is seen in our discussion on R-rated movies. As has been shown there, no Prophet or Apostle has EVER counseled adult members not to watch R-rated movies - as a class. Be careful in what we watch, absolutely. Even pray about going to see a movie that might be marginal. Yet many members refuse to consider a movie, purely based on its rating. There is nothing wrong with that, if that is their choice, but they then turn and teach it as doctrine, which it isn't.

Finally, in my opinion, during the Last Days, there will be a major split in the Church. There will be at least three factions, probably along the lines of:
1. Those who claim a "legal" right to the Church
2. Those who claim an "intellectual" guidance of the Church
3. A small group who trust entirely to the Spirit. They will "follow" a prophet who is entirely unacceptable to the other two groups.

Anyone who rests on the idea of "follow the Prophet" will join one of the first two groups.

Remember what I wrote about Elder Scott's address. He also pointed out this type of followership among members. In Brother Yorgasson's list of levels, followership essentially stops at level 4. Anything beyond that requires real growth that comes from stepping beyond following.

NightHawk

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 26th Mar, 2004 - 5:32pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Mar, 2004 - 5:40pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough - Page 9

I think I will start a thread (look for it later) about the outward and inward. Concerning your fellow Borthers and Sisters in Michigan - I am familiar with this kind of 'mormony' thinking, however, we do not have that here at all, we have all the opposite... members do not even want to follow the most basic stuff let alone even know what is a book called, 'Mormon Doctrine' or if we need to pray about what the Prophet says hence my curiosity for your emphasis on this, I guess our environment leads the basis for our interest in this thread. The most important thing I understand about the Church is this... it has been set up so the 'least' member who can just about be as obedient as possible can return to live with Heavenly Father, in other words, they just need a 'C' to pass, if anyone else wants to fly thorugh with an 'A' so be it, but it is not required.

26th Mar, 2004 - 5:48pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 9

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 26-Mar 04, 12:40 PM)
The most important thing I understand about the Church is this... it has been set up so the 'least' member who can just about be as obedient as possible can return to live with Heavenly Father, in other words, they just need a 'C' to pass, if anyone else wants to fly thorugh with an 'A' so be it, but it is not required.

Now, I disagree with this very much. I will agree, up to the point of attaining a high level in the Terrestial Kingdom. Thus, a "level 4" member is (IMHO) almost assured of a high Terrestial inheritance.

However, to attain exaltation within the Celestial Kingdom requires a "level 7" type of person. Obviously, if I am living a level 4 life now, and realize (as I have recently) that I need to live a level 7 life, and begin to sincerely repent and change, but die in a car accident on the way home from Church, perhaps I have a chance to continue on to exaltation. But if I just coast on as a level 4, 5, or 6, and don't earnestly strive to improve during this probation, then I will be stuck where I am. Now, obviously, these "levels" aren't doctrinal, or relate specifically to any type of resurrection, they are just easy ways for us to relate to the types of behaviour that we each do and can engage in. However, they do show, quite clearly, how much we really do need to be aware of our own responsibility concerning our salvation and exaltation.

NightHawk

> TOPIC: The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,