The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 13 of 33

That is fine, but you are not answering the - Page 13 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 9th Jun, 2008 - 3:10am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 33 pgs.  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...Latest (33) »

Are Mormons meant to follow blindly? We may say no, but if you disagree what do you do? Pray UNTIL you believe? Should we believe that all that is written and said by the Modern Prophets is correct and infallible? If so, then why do we have to pray about it? Is it for us to believe what they say or really to find out if that is what we ought to be doing? Controversial Mormon Issue.
The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Related Information to The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
9th Jun, 2008 - 1:28am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 13

The Prophet said so, is that enough?

Sometimes the Prophets and leaders of the Church speak to the members about different issues than contradict the scriptures in one point or another. Now, to whom we should follow....the living Prophet or the Scriptures? what do you think?

Without having read the entire thread, I will respond with my immediate thoughts on the original question. My short answer to this would be both. The living Prophet is our prophet, seer and revelator for this dispensation. So at face value, his word would normally trump the scriptures of old. However, when faced with conflicting counsel, as intelligent beings who are deserving of personal revelation we should always pray, search and ponder to receive that personal revelation. Only then will we know how it all applies to us as individuals and to those over whom we have stewardship. I have little tolerance for the philosophy of lemmings. Not only should we seek the answers for ourselves, I believe the Lord expects it of us.

Now I am off to read the rest of the thread. I will try not to be redundant but I am sure I will find something else to expound upon. wink.gif

Reconcile Edited: alskann on 9th Jun, 2008 - 1:30am

Sponsored Links:
9th Jun, 2008 - 1:39am / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

You like the "golden answers". It is of course applicable to everything - pray and search, search and pray, even the Apostles in Christ's time needed the Spirit in order to know that He, Jesus, was in fact the Christ. The interesting point is that the Prophet acts as the interpreter of what God wants us to do as a whole. We then take that information, go to our homes and "search and pray" and come up with interpretations for how it applies to our lives. Now here is the tickler... what Members say they were 'told' by the Spirit differs so much that one could have a foot in heaven and one in hell and still not bridge the divide if you get what I mean. In other words, the Prophet is there to hopefully 'stop' the need for so many different conclusions because... he will not lead us astray, he will be removed before that can EVER happen, therefore if he will not lead us astray let's act accordingly and just get to it, right?

Rather off topic, but...
I will wait with bated breath for your readings of this and other Threads here wink.gif.

9th Jun, 2008 - 1:44am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Studies Doctrine Mormon

If the Prophet can never lead us astray (false doctrine of infallibility) then what is the purpose of praying about the words he has spoken if in the end his words and counsels are always right?

9th Jun, 2008 - 2:07am / Post ID: #

Page 13 Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

what Members say they were 'told' by the Spirit differs so much that one could have a foot in heaven and one in hell and still not bridge the divide if you get what I mean.

I get what you mean. And agree to a point. I have rolled my eyes on more than one occasion, particularly when there is someone who is ALWAYS having revelation about everything. Members may be "told by the Spirit" but whatever they are told is personal revelelation and to be used for "personal consumption." Your revelation is not for me to follow and mine is not for you. To be honest, I have rarely if ever heard a member tell me, "I received personal revelation and this new commandment from the Prophet doesn't apply to me." More often I get members who are uncomfortable with changes and then begin to murmer and rationalize why it was "just a suggestion" and so they don't really have to follow. They are correct to a point. Nobody "has" to follow the Prophet or keep the commandments - it's all about choice.

Rather off topic, but...
(Actually I have had people tell me they are receiving revelation and or that they ARE the prophet or God, but it is always part of their psychotic delusions.)

the Prophet is there to hopefully 'stop' the need for so many different conclusions because... he will not lead us astray, he will be removed before that can EVER happen, therefore if he will not lead us astray let's act accordingly and just get to it, right?

Right. The searching and personal revelation should build upon the testimony we already have and strengthen our resolve to follow the Prophet.

QUOTE (LDS_forever)
If the Prophet can never lead us astray (false doctrine of infallibility) then what is the purpose of praying about the words he has spoken if in the end his words and counsels are always right?

His words and counsel are from the Lord - usually. Sometimes they are from the man. We seek for ourselves to be able to discern the difference and receive confirmation. However, the man had to do a lot of praying on his own to get where he is, don't you think. So I would imagine he has a few gems of wisdom to share on his own.

Reconcile Message Edited...
JB: Please use one Post for replies.

9th Jun, 2008 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

QUOTE (Alskann)
I get what you mean. And agree to a point.

Not sure what you disagree with?

I have rarely if ever heard a member tell me, "I received personal revelation and this new commandment from the Prophet doesn't apply to me."

Members will not tell you they prayed about something and the Spirit told them it was not for them because then their Membership would be in question. They do it ever so subtle, for instance we can take the issue of children... look at the rucus Sr. Beck stirred up about the role of motherhood. Now, she was not the Prophet, but her words have been sanctioned by the Prophets, yet each sees their role in it very differently.

Maybe as you read the Thread more you will get what my point is... what the Prophet says for the Church is for all... that is the whole point he is there. However, the variance in the words of the Prophets enters many spheres: the difference between doctrine and policy, commandment and principle and so forth, it is very deep and covered over many Threads here.

Rather off topic, but...
Tackle this Thread and you will see what I mean.

Right. The searching and personal revelation should build upon the testimony we already have and strengthen our resolve to follow the Prophet.

Actually, I'm being a bit sarcastic there based on many other things Discussed within this Board. Yes, I agree with your reply, but my statement was rhetorical really.

9th Jun, 2008 - 2:29am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

Alskann:

His words and counsel are from the Lord - usually. Sometimes they are from the man. We seek for ourselves to be able to discern the difference and receive confirmation.

Don't you think it would be easier as the Prophets of old used to say "Thus say the Lord" as a way to differentiate direct revelation from the Lord to its Church and his own well intentioned opinion?

However, the man had to do a lot of praying on his own to get where he is, don't you think.

Not sure if I understand what you mean?

So I would imagine he has a few gems of wisdom to share on his own.

Oh, no doubt about it. Nevertheless, huge difference if he is sharing a gem of wisdom or if he is telling me the Lord has commanded.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
9th Jun, 2008 - 3:07am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough - Page 13

I'm still only about halfway through reading the thread, but it seems the same points keep coming up. President Benson summed it all up in a talk he gave while still in the Qof12. He expounds a bit more than this, but I've quoted the highlights. It's actually an excellent talk and worth the read. It is available on lds.org, titled: Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet, reprinted in the Liahona, Jun 81)

(Address given Tuesday, February 26, 1980 at Brigham Young University by Ezra Taft Benson, Of the Quorum of the Twelve)

In conclusion let us summarize this grand key, these "Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet", for our salvation depends on them.

1. The prophet is the only man who speaks for the Lord in everything.

2. The living prophet is more vital to us than the standard works.

3. The living prophet is more important to us than a dead prophet.

4. The prophet will never lead the church astray.

5. The prophet is not required to have any particular earthly training or credentials to speak on any subject or act on any matter at any time.

6. The prophet does not have to say "Thus Saith the Lord," to give us scripture.

7. The prophet tells us what we need to know, not always what we want to know.

8. The prophet is not limited by men's reasoning.

9. The prophet can receive revelation on any matter, temporal or spiritual.

10. The prophet may advise on civic matters.

11. The two groups who have the greatest difficulty in following the prophet are the proud who are learned and the proud who are rich.

12. The prophet will not necessarily be popular with the world or the worldly.

13. The prophet and his counselors make up the First Presidency-the highest quorum in the Church.

14. The prophet and the presidency-the living prophet and the First Presidency-follow them and be blessed-reject them and suffer.

I testify that these fourteen fundamentals in following the living prophet are true. If we want to know how well we stand with the Lord then let us ask ourselves how well we stand with His mortal captain-how close do our lives harmonize with the Lord's anointed-the living Prophet-President of the Church, and with the Quorum of the First Presidency.

9th Jun, 2008 - 3:10am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 13

That is fine, but you are not answering the MAIN issues that 'keep coming up'. The above quote only reinforces my points not answers them. We are looking for the answers.

> TOPIC: The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,