Emma Smith, Example? - Page 4 of 6

Name: Livy Country: Comments: I know Brigham - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st May, 2014 - 3:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Emma Smith
Emma Hale Smith - also a KoZ2 - Kingdom of Zion Topic
Emma Smith, Example? Related Information to Emma Smith, Example?
7th Oct, 2011 - 7:19pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example? - Page 4

I wish there were a journal or something that she kept that we could read what actually happened during her time with Joseph. Seeing your husband go from poor farm boy to church authority, judge, military leader must have been dramatic.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Jun, 2012 - 4:46am / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example?
A Friend

Example Smith Emma

It is not up to me to judge Emma, but the facts are that she did not fulfill section 25 nor did she accept polygamy in section 132. She entreated Joseph to come home rather than flee, and along with Hyrum played a large part in his martyrdom, although one could argue this was predestined. Bottom line, she did not continue in spirit of meekness and did sucumb to pride contrary to the Lord's commandment in section 25. Much like David, she did a lot and endured a lot but not to the end. I believe it will be up to Joseph as to whether she will receive exaltation-and by all accounts if this is the case she will. Despite the above, I don't think anyone would want to have lived her life. It was not easy.

Post Date: 28th Jun, 2012 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Name: Stacy

Comments: How can you judge Emma Smith so harshly? Were you there? Did you know what she had to go through with seeing her husband have all these secret relationships and still stay with him? She must have really loved him because I wouldn't have stuck with any man that decides to have 33 other women as his wife.

7th Jul, 2012 - 10:15pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Example Smith Emma

First Joseph's successor was not clear cut. Clearly he did not have a succession plan in place (other than Hiram), and had even blessed others as his successor (his son for one.) There is a lot of documentation of this. Also there is some documentation that suggested that Joseph was going to step down as prophet and Hiram was to take his place. So the succession after Joseph was a mess.
Emma, who being his wife supported her son. (Probably because she knew Joseph had intended at some point to leave the church to his son.) Emma had a tough life. Polygamy is enough to push anyone to the edge of ones marriage. Joseph married many younger women without her knowledge. Some of them were younger girls that were living under her roof. Some of them were her councilors in the relief society. (which was originally a anti-polygamous movement). Think how hard it would have been to hear rumors of your husband and infidelity with younger women in polygamous marriages. She even asked Joseph if she her to take on another husband (William Law). The answer to this is in D&C 132, and William was not keen on it either. This must have been tough. Her 12-15 years of marriage to Joseph were tough, she threatened to leave and divorce him on many occasions. It was a tough situation to be in. I think that their relationship has gotten romanticized in the recent years, but it was a tough situation to be in, and I think that she handled it with dignity.

5th Nov, 2012 - 5:01pm / Post ID: #

Example Smith Emma

Emma was not ready for Joseph's radical ideas and behavior. Do you know of any woman that would? Still she stuck with him to the very end despite going through the most harsh of environments from mobs, thugs and dissenters, we cannot judge her.

30th Apr, 2014 - 10:19pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example?

I am interested to know more of your thoughts about the wife of the Prophet Joseph Smith, her trials and tribulations as well as her denial that Joseph ever lived in a Plural Marriage?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st May, 2014 - 11:29am / Post ID: #

Emma Smith Example - Page 4

I only know that I would not want to be the one to pass judgement on her. I cannot even fathom the things she had to go through and I look at all the things we deal with in the world today that were not even known about back then....you have to know she had some sort of Post-tramatic syndrome (Sp) and depression after Joseph died. Staying behind when the saints went west I think must of been really hard--even though she did not supposedly see eye to eye with Brigham Young, she did have friends that went west. That group of people had been her life and her husbands fruits through God. I love the song on the CD "Tribute to Joseph" about Emma. It starts with a quote from Mother Smith about Emma and all that she had to deal with and go through. Losing her children must have been a severe trial of faith as well.

Post Date: 1st May, 2014 - 3:35pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith Example Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

Name: Livy

Comments: I know Brigham Young and a few others had some pretty severe opinions about where she'd spend eternity.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Emma Smith, Example?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,