Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills? - Page 4 of 15

I think that there is an odd rejection of - Page 4 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 12th Nov, 2004 - 11:51pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (15) »
Best of  Polygamy An Answer Social Ills Still practised in this modern age, can we see any benefits if it were accepted in the Western Hemisphere?
Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills? Related Information to Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills?
4th Jun, 2004 - 7:21pm / Post ID: #

Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills? - Page 4

denounced by the LDS religion

Yes, this is a general board, hence not each view will be on LDS - thanks for clarifying. I would not use the word 'denounced', but 'no longer practised' see a thread in the LDS Deep Doctrine board called, 'In that Day Seven Women shall...'

As for plural marriage itself, keep in mind that the difficulty in accepting this seems to be an European/Western thinking. The rest of the world views it as normal. The history of this stater I am sure with the Roman take over of Christianity.

Sponsored Links:
31st Oct, 2004 - 7:31am / Post ID: #

Ills Social Answer Polygamy

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 2-Dec 03, 3:35 PM)
I think it is wrong for a man to get more than one wife just for the purpose of sex.

Well, that is the purpose of life. Reproduction, evolution. In that sense, polygamy is good for mankind. That way, not only more children will be born, but also the mutants will vary and evolution will occur faster.

But what is the purpose of evolution? to elevate the human kind. And if such a savage manner is needed for that, is it worth it?

31st Oct, 2004 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 2-Dec 03, 3:35 PM)
I think it is wrong for a man to get more than one wife just for the purpose of sex. 

Smudge said:
Well, that is the purpose of life. Reproduction, evolution.

Oh, Smudge! Sex and reproduction are not the purpose of life. Where in the world did you get that interpretation? The purpose of life is to discover who we are, how we got here, and where we are going; and in the process, to develop our intelligence as much as possible. Reproduction is a *part* of life here, but not the *purpose* of life.

Unfortunately, those who focus on sex may get involved in polygamy just for that reason. However, if you study it out, sex is not even the true purpose of polygamy.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

31st Oct, 2004 - 7:21pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Ills Social Answer Polygamy

I don't thing it's the most important thing in one's personal life - of course not! But it is the purpose of life as a whole. To continue with life, to develop our intelligence, as you said, by passing our knowledge to our children. In that sense, polygamy is good. In the moral sense, I don't think it's a solution, though.

31st Oct, 2004 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

Ills Social Answer Polygamy

Well, that is the purpose of life

I do not think sex is the purpose of life, it is just a a part of the bigger picture. What I was trying to say regards to Polygamy is that I do not think it is correct for anybody to accept more than one wife for the ONLY purpose of satisfying their lusts. This is not correct. Of course, an intimate relationship between a man and a woman is very important and sacred, nevertheless it is NOT the basic foundation of a marriage life. That's why just like a relationship based on sex will not last long, it is not different to me that a man who desires to have more wives just for sex's sake, think they are entitled to it just because they are married to these women. Sex should never be *the* reason for a marriage, whether is monogamous or not.

2nd Nov, 2004 - 3:14am / Post ID: #

Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills?

We've drifted off topic here. I'm going to split this into a new topic "Purpose of Life" in this same board, because I think it's a great subject for the discussion to continue.

Roz
*~~ poof ~~* Topic split!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Nov, 2004 - 5:22pm / Post ID: #

Polygamy Answer Social Ills - Page 4

Polygamy would seem to have an effect on one's own self image. Who gets to be the polygamist? the husband with many wives or the wife with many husbands? Or can there be many wives and many husbands all together? Polygamy definitely benefits one of many in a house.

But how about this - If men and women were/are equal in the society the answer changes.

In cultures where the man is dominant no matter what, then as stated earlier, some women may do better in this situation.

In a culture where there are just as many woman making big $$$ and raised to believe that they are not to be dependent upon men - then why would they accept to subjected to such a culture.

As a father of a daughter, I say no way to polygamy. One to One is like Ying and Yang - it is the balance of being equal; a balance of sharing one's life equally with another.

Post Date: 12th Nov, 2004 - 11:51pm / Post ID: #

Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills?
A Friend

Polygamy Answer Social Ills Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 4

I think that there is an odd rejection of the notion that it's possible to love more than one person at the same time. Still, that's polyamory... Polygamy is most problematic if you think about it in terms of a family structure. If we are talking about a woman with multiple husbands, and you end up with a child, you might not even know who the father is. In general, splitting parenting up between more than two people could be pretty confusing for the child... but maybe I'm being closed minded about it, there aren't too many families arranged like that.

Still, it's all so academic for a lot of us... I really don't see polygamy becoming socially acceptable in the West any time soon, given the views of most western religions.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (15) »

> TOPIC: Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,