Is There Life After Death ? - Page 5 of 8

I know there is life after death just recently - Page 5 - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 10th Sep, 2010 - 11:02pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
How do you know if you will live again? Discuss your point of view and why you came to that conclusion.
Is There Life After Death ? Related Information to Is There Life After Death ?
Post Date: 29th Oct, 2006 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

Is There Life After Death ?
A Friend

Is There Life After Death ? - Page 5

I have indeed read through the four pages here, and my questions are primarily ones of the meaning of words in context.

A "purpose" or "reason" for something which is fact can have two different meanings:
Firstly, it can refer to the intent of the individual who performed the action or created the object or state of things, for example "the purpose of a shovel is to dig."
Secondly, it can refer to goals that will eventually be achieved by the person/thing in question.
The difference between these two meanings is relatively subtle in that the first one refers to a choice of purpose by a consciousness (God would fit the bill here) while the second refers to an intentless looking back at something and deciding that it was designed to do what it did because that's what it did.

As far as I can see, people mean the first definition usually and say that the purpose of life is whatever God desired life to do when he created it. Under this scheme, if God's desires did not involve an afterlife, why would there be one? A person's purpose can be something they are meant to do in their life, possibly right up until the moment of their death, which may have subtle influences on every other living person, but this purpose does not logically require that person to continue into an afterlife (neither does it forbid it).

You must already believe in God to mean God's purpose when referring to the purpose of life, so if you are not certain about God or whether or not God has a purpose for life, you need a different consciousness to assign purpose to life in order for there to be a purpose at all. In this case, people may each decide their own purpose in life. Each person has many choices available to them, including that of their parents, their culture, their religion, or simply creating one themselves. What differentiates the validity or relevance of these various potential purposes when speaking about a purpose for life?

I believe that there is no prior reason for this earth and life on it, but that we can each create our own reasons for current and continued existence. I also believe that since such a reason will be self-determined it holds more validity than a decision about your purpose made by another person. Of course, if God has a purpose for you, his purpose may be more significant.

Further, I believe that to claim looking at the material world by itself is to limit one's understanding assumes there is any understanding to be gained from looking into other planes of existence, most (I will not say all) of the information about which is pure speculation and has no substance.
Therefore I must ask, is it better to make an uninformed decision as to what to believe and disbelieve, or to hold judgement until sufficient information can be obtained?

Everything has a purpose.

Why?
No, I am not asking what everything's purpose is, I am asking why must everything have a purpose? If it is indeed defying logic to say that things may be purposeless, then there must be logical justification showing that a purpose is necessary (noting that fear and lack of imagination are not valid logical tools).

Regarding my lack of understanding of identity, people refer to the idea of a "soul", which is a word which is very widely used. It seems that everyone understands each other when they say "soul", but I do not understand what is meant by this term. Clearly, one's body does not immediately and physically travel to an afterlife, so belief in an afterlife obviously says the soul goes there (or it is a belief in a future bodily resurrection, which is also reasonable), but since I do not understand "soul", I cannot understand afterlife either.

Sponsored Links:
29th Oct, 2006 - 1:45am / Post ID: #

Death Life Is

I have been enjoying your zeal for the Threads here, but I still do not know what you are getting at really by going into so much offtopic. The Thread's subject is 'Is There Life After Death?' If for you there is no life after death then the matter ends there. If for you there exists life after death then tell us about it.

I have already declared what I believe within the first page, as well as the why:

QUOTE (JB)
1. He who has conquered death - Christ 
2. All those that experienced near death 
3. The Spirits confirmation 
4. Logic - yes, logic... if not what is all this for?

The reason I declare it as such is because I am in the Religions Board where most already have a concept or belief in the afterlife, it is not up to me to prove there is one, indeed it will be up to someone who does not believe to prove there is not one.

I think the Thread you are looking for is located here:
Atheist s Not To Be Feared.

QUOTE (Yiab)
No, I am not asking what everything's purpose is, I am asking why must everything have a purpose?

That is easy, because we were created from purpose, but that is going into offtopics.

Offtopic but,
It is as easy as this earth, what is the purpose of sunlight and rain if not to enable the growth of life? What is the purpose of the oxygen within the atmosphere if not to allow you to breathe? How can it be that this earth in all its splendor not be any proof of purpose?

NOTE: Please look up our Constructive Posting Policy, it prevents Threads from being hijacked and / or taken off the main Topic. You may also want to learn how to use the Offtopic and Quote tags. If you have questions please feel free to ask in your Welcome Thread (where you posted your Intro).

Post Date: 24th Jun, 2010 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

Is There Life After Death ? Beliefs Religious General

Name: Paul

Comments: I have been a Spiritual Healer and a Medium for 25 years. There is life after the body dies. The soul which is part of God goes back home to the spirit world. There is a place you call hell which is for people who are dead to God, people who worship satan etc. God is all embracing, all loving, all forgiving. Unless you are dead to God you will be excepted into the next life in heaven. Forget purgatory it doesn't exist. So many people are blind to our true existence on this earth. We are here for one reason only. 'To perfect our soul' in order to ascend to be by God's side. We are here for no other reason.

27th Jun, 2010 - 5:36pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Death Life Is

I guess my view on this issue will come as no surprise. I am convinced that when we die, only the matter that makes up our bodies continues on and that we cease to exist as individuals. I wish it were otherwise, but I have never seen any convincing evidence for such claims.

Every culture has stories of the afterlife, each religion offers their version--yet they often conflict with each other. Many find claims of near-death experiences (NDEs) to be convincing and I have no doubt that those who have them are not lying or simply making them up. However, I think they represent states within the mind, not an external reality. In the past few decades, neuroscientists have been able to induce such experiences in volunteers through a combination of different techniques, including application of targeted magnetic fields on the brain, as well as visual induction. They have even stimulated "religious visions" where the subject is convinced there are "entities" present.

In 2008, 25 UK and US hospitals began a 3-year study, co-ordinated by Dr. Sam Parnia and Southampton University. The study aims to examine near-death experiences in 1,500 cardiac arrest survivors and determine whether people without a heartbeat or brain activity can have documentable out-of-body experiences. I am very curious to see the results of this study, which is large-scale and is being performed under rigid scientific conditions.

28th Jun, 2010 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

Death Life Is

There are documented cases where people have been clinically dead and while dead were able to say what was being said in the room, what figures / measurements on the equipment read, who went in and out of the room and so forth because they were hovering above everyone. Do a search for near death in this Community.

28th Jun, 2010 - 5:01am / Post ID: #

The millions that died before Christ are still asleep in death as are millions that died after Christ's resurrection simply because judgment day is not here yet, although it is close at hand. Remember Christ was the first!

international QUOTE
(Acts 26:22-23) . . .However, because I have obtained the help that is from God I continue to this day bearing witness to both small and great, but saying nothing except things the Prophets as well as Moses stated were going to take place, 23 that the Christ was to suffer and, as the first to be resurrected from the dead, he was going to publish light both to this people and to the nations."

(Acts 17:31) . . .Because he has set a day in which he purposes to judge the inhabited earth in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed, and he has furnished a guarantee to all men in that he has resurrected him from the dead."

God's word encourages us to appreciate the life we live now, and to do good because in the grave (She"ol) there is no work
international QUOTE
(Ecclesiastes 9:5,10) 5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten"¦ 10 All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in She′ol, the place to which you are going.

Even kings and nobles have no superiority in death than anyone else
international QUOTE
(Psalm 146:3-4) . . .Do not put YOUR trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs.  4 His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; In that day his thoughts do perish. . .
Everlasting life is a gift from God, and not all avail themselves of it.
international QUOTE
Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Jun, 2010 - 4:07am / Post ID: #

Is Life Death - Page 5

Name: Del

Comments: Death is probably one of the greatest fears men have mostly because it is unknown. There is no way for anyone to go through death and then come back and say it is this way or that. There are those who have had clinical death experiences but I don't know yet if this is just the power of the mind still working long after perceived death or really them seeing this as an outer presence from their body.

Post Date: 10th Sep, 2010 - 11:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Is Life Death General Religious Beliefs - Page 5

I know there is life after death just recently I have began sobriety after long years of using and now I am clean and can hear ghosts. I did question my sanity at the begining but I tested myself with my mom and talked to someone she knew that had passed on and said evrything to a TEE. having this new gift was cool at first then scary and now I'm learning to work with it. I think God gave me this gift for a reason and things happen for a reason but I know there is life after death for sure 100%.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

> TOPIC: Is There Life After Death ?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,