Make Drugs Legal? - Page 16 of 18

Yes that is the whole of it all. As long as - Page 16 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 28th Apr, 2017 - 11:22pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 18 pgs.  12 13 14 15 16 17 18 
Discuss  Make Drugs Legal Marijuana Laws
Make Drugs Legal? Related Information to Make Drugs Legal?
Post Date: 28th Apr, 2017 - 10:20pm / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal?
A Friend

Make Drugs Legal? - Page 16

I agree that while legalizing the drugs will save money and save tax payers some money as the ones doing the drugs can pay the use taxes. Driving under the influence has not really changed much over all just because some places it is legal. Just like alcohol most people just do not care if they are high or drunk when they get behind the wheel.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 28th Apr, 2017 - 10:23pm / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal?
A Friend

Legal Drugs Make

Exactly, and that is my point. When we legalize these drugs we add people to the mix who may not drive drunk but will drive wasted because they think it's dangerous to drive high. But, I think we have to legalize this in the long run or we just empower the dealers.

Post Date: 28th Apr, 2017 - 10:32pm / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal?
A Friend

Make Drugs Legal? Health & Special Psychology

We have proven the war on drugs is not working as more and more drugs are being illegally imported with no end in sight. If we legalize the drugs and tax it like alcohol and tobacco we can make some head way into other areas. Even employers right now know that the war is not being won and most require a clean drug screen just to work. How many people who can not get a job or have a job and went back to the drugs are driving around while on the drugs? I bet the numbers would surprise you.

28th Apr, 2017 - 10:38pm / Post ID: #

Page 16 Legal Drugs Make

international QUOTE
They legalized marijuana in Colorado. That hasn't really been too much of a problem really.

Coming from a background in sociology, child welfare, and law enforcement along with the fact that I live and work in small town Colorado I can say that I'm not sure I completely agree with your statement. We don't really feel any positive effects of legalization in my area of the State. Maybe they do in Denver and other more urban areas.

According to a recent study; see w.learnaboutsam.org there have been some fairly negative effects from legalization including

international QUOTE (Lessions Learned After 4 Years of Marijauna Legalization; October 2016)

*Rising rates of pot use by minors
*Increasing arrest rates of minors, especially black and Hispanic children
*Higher rates of traffic deaths from driving while high
*More marijuana-related poisonings and hospitalizations
*A persistent black market that may now involve increased Mexican cartel activity in Colorado

Granted you always have to approach every study, whether for or against legalization, with the understanding that any study can manipulate and frame its findings to uphold whatever narrative the authors wish to put forth. The report also states that legalization has had little to no impact on black market activity:

international QUOTE
Moreover, the legalization of pot in Colorado appears to have opened the door for Mexican cartel operations in the heart of the United States. A representative of the Colorado Attorney General’s office noted in 2016 that legalization “has inadvertently helped fuel the business of Mexican drug cartels… cartels are now trading drugs like heroin for marijuana, and the trade has since opened the door to drug and human trafficking.

There is also a possible connection between legalization and in increase in the homeless population in Colorado:

international QUOTE
The easy availability of marijuana post-legalization also appears to have swelled the ranks of Colorado’s homeless population. While overall U.S. Homelessness decreased between 2013 and 2014 as the country moved out of the recession,
Colorado was one of 17 states that saw homeless numbers increase during that time. Perhaps not coincidentally, it was also when Colorado legalized “recreational-use” marijuana and allowed retail sales to begin.
In the Denver metropolitan area, where over half of the state’s homeless live, shelter usage grew by about 50 percent, from around
28,000 accommodations per month in July
2012 to 42,000 per month in November 2015.
Surveys at Denver shelters estimate that about 20 to 30 percent of the newcomers are there for the easy access to pot.

The study goes on to address increased accidents, injuries and absentiesm in the workplace that does appear to at least have some correlation with legalization (Obviously correlation is not causation but still), the impact that legalization has had on minority communities, and the increase in drug related traffic accidents and fatalities:

international QUOTE
In Colorado, marijuana is now involved in more than one of every five deaths on the road, and that number is rising.

Working for the Department of Social Service I can attest to the observation that the number of people seeking and receiving public benefits has exploded within the past few years and my agency is struggling to keep up with the increased demand for Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF), Food Assistance, Medicaid, etc. We have also seen a spike in burglaries and theft along with increased involvement in juvenile delinquency cases in which drugs are involved.

We have a lot of new faces in my little community, many of them are coming from Nevada and California to work at the recently established hemp farm and almost always end up on assistance. I know hemp is not the same as marijuana and does not contain the same levels of THC, but it is my position that many if not most of the people that work out at the hemp farm also tend use marijuana. Some of this is evidence by the fact that the hemp farm struggles with cross contamination and has lost several fields as a result. The cost of living here is low, its easy to get onto public benefits, and law enforcement is limited as the Sheriff's Office has a Sheriff, an Undersheriff, two full time deputies, and one volunteer deputy (That would be me). The local police department has a chief, a sgt. And one full time officer.

Its a complex issue really that I don't think as a solution as simple as full legalization or criminalization… both bring with them several problems that the community has to deal with. In my opinion the primary source of the problem is not really the drugs themselves, its a society that has embraced relativism on nearly every level, created a strong sense of individualism over community, and a sense of entitlement and narcissism combined with pleasure seeking, hedonistic lifestyles. I don't have any studies to support that though, that is just my observation and opinion. In my opinion drugs and alcohol are not so much the cause of the problem, but a symptom of it.

Ok, I'm done… for now.

Post Date: 28th Apr, 2017 - 10:58pm / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal?
A Friend

Legal Drugs Make

Aeric,

Much of what you site was in what I read in the Post article. These are hard problems and most are so complex they require multifaceted solutions. I just don't know what that solution is in this case.

Post Date: 28th Apr, 2017 - 11:07pm / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal?
A Friend

Make Drugs Legal?

It is a complex problem. Lots of people use them whether it's legal or not. I say legalize all drugs. Hold people responsible for their actions while on said drugs. People are free to do what they want with their own bodies as long as they don't hurt others. That's the heart of libertarianism. I don't want people to do drugs and harm themselves. Pandora's box has been opened. There is no closing it unfortunately.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Apr, 2017 - 11:14pm / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal - Page 16

I agree, you can attack the supply issue all day long but so long as the demand remains people will find a way to fill the demand regardless of the laws put in place.

Post Date: 28th Apr, 2017 - 11:22pm / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal?
A Friend

Make Drugs Legal Psychology Special & Health - Page 16

Yes that is the whole of it all. As long as people want it they will find a way to get it. No matter the laws or the punishments.

+  « First of 18 pgs.  12 13 14 15 16 17 18 

> TOPIC: Make Drugs Legal?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,