Make Drugs Legal? - Page 5 of 18

Funbikerchick, I knew if I tried hard enough - Page 5 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 12th Feb, 2005 - 10:34am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (18) »
Discuss  Make Drugs Legal Marijuana Laws
Make Drugs Legal? Related Information to Make Drugs Legal?
24th May, 2004 - 1:11pm / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal? - Page 5

Here is an article about a legal "pot" farm in the US.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5014470/

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Dec, 2004 - 2:50am / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal?
A Friend

Legal Drugs Make

The first laws governing the use of now-illegal drugs were racially-based. It was illegal for any black person to use cocaine, and illegal for any Asian person to use opium. Before these, and many other, drugs were made illegal, many people used them socially. Today with alcohol, there were people who drank alcohol socially, but knew when to quite; there are also people who are addicted and cannot quit. The case was the same back then: most people who used it were mature enough to know when it was too much, and there were a few who were addicted and could not stop.

What about the economy? Billions of dollars are spent every year by the U.S. alone in fighting the "War On Drugs". The result? Higher taxes, dangerous streets, prison over-crowding, and still the same, or higher, rates of drug use as before.

6th Jan, 2005 - 7:21am / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal? Health & Special Psychology

In the US, the tobacco companies were successfully sued for making a product that they knew could cause the person to become addicted. They even adjusted the amount of key ingredients to successfully "hook" the user. While I think that people are grown-ups and mature enough to make their own decisions, as you can see, there are groups that can argue ignorance to what they were doing and blame someone else. If drugs were made legal, then there would most likely be a governmental organization that would control the sales of this product. You wouldn't maintain street sales. Now the government becomes the "supplier" and that "could" result in a lot of liability. I can only imagine a heroin addict now suing the government for making his drug Des Jour too good that it ruined his life and health. The precedence has already been set with cigarettes.

Just a thought,

Vincenzo

Post Date: 6th Jan, 2005 - 8:36am / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal?
A Friend

Page 5 Legal Drugs Make

There is a thin line here. In Holland for example some substances are legal. And they have a low crime rate, no problems what so ever...at least comparing with those in US. Ofcourse there are things there that need to be fix but overall it prove to be a good idea for authorities to legalize and control some of the traffic.

just a though:)

6th Jan, 2005 - 11:06am / Post ID: #

Legal Drugs Make

Now the government becomes the "supplier" and that "could" result in a lot of liability. I can only imagine a heroin addict now suing the government for making his drug Des Jour too good that it ruined his life and health. The precedence has already been set with cigarettes.

I am not sure this is a valid argument. The government does not become the supplier, they become the regulator, just as they already do with alcohol and cigarettes. The US government right now heavily taxes and regulates the sale of cigarettes, yet, to my knowlege, they have not been sued by those who suffer from the ill effects of cigarettes, that has only happened to the tobacco companies. In addition, the stores are suppliers, but they haven't been sued either.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 6th Jan, 2005 - 11:08am

7th Jan, 2005 - 7:15am / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal?

Sorry. I was jumping about 3 steps ahead! For cigarettes/tobacco and alcohol, there were already well established companies that provided this product to the market. The government later got in and started regulations of these companies. Regulations after the fact really take all the pressure off the government in a law suit.

Since the drugs we are talking about are illegal now, there really is no company that you can go to in order to purchase your legal heroin, cocaine...etc. At this point, I would imagine that the government would have to set up a company or encourage existing companies to import the drugs. This where the trouble starts. Basically, the government would be saying that this company is acceptable or would set up shop itself (easiest way to totally regulate). It is this fine thread that makes several hundreds of lawyers rich.

Cigarettes and Alcohol kill slowly (except for drunk driving - and that brings up a whole new set of issues to decide how much pot you can smoke, cocaine you can take, LSD you can use and heroin you can inject before you are "offically impaired"). However, some of these drugs can kill instantly. I have lived to see the Fast Food Companies sued for making people, that cant put down a double cheeseburger, fat. I cant help but think there is a law suit waiting to happen when someone or a few die from the drugs that were illegal accidentally killing them. Grieving parents of children that die today get behind the Just Say No programs and anti-drug efforts. What will they get behind if they are legal? My guess is a law suit!

Just a thought,

Vincenzo

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Jan, 2005 - 11:25am / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal - Page 5

At this point, I would imagine that the government would have to set up a company or encourage existing companies to import the drugs.

In reality, they don't have to do this. They could just stop prosecuting people for the use of such drugs. They could just pass laws that regulate those who choose to sell them. I believe very strongly that the government shouldn't be able to tell me which drug I am allowed to use. So, either outlaw them all, or not. Alcohol and cigarettes are both drugs that cause serious harm and even death. To me, it matters not if it is quick or slow. Incidently, alcohol can very definately cause immediate death. I have a distant relative who died of alcohol poisoning on his 18th birthday. This is when 18 was the legal age to drink alcohol in the US. He went out with his friends to "celebrate his 18th birthday." Drank too much too quickly and died.

Post Date: 12th Feb, 2005 - 10:34am / Post ID: #

Make Drugs Legal?
A Friend

Make Drugs Legal Psychology Special & Health - Page 5

Funbikerchick,
I knew if I tried hard enough I would find a topic I agree with you on. Marijuana should definately be legalized. That is the only drug I am able to form an opinion on. The others I know nothing about. But marijuana is performing miracles everyday other than the good times. My grandmother smokes it because she has cancer. During treatments she use to get very sick and could not eat due to lack of appetite. Well now that the munchies are in town she has actually gained weight and alot of the pain she use to feel is numbed. If there are any doubters of the pain relief, try this. the next time you get a bad toothache try some pot. You will be amazed how fast the pain goes away. I have tried this myself after losing a filling eating popcorn late one night. I was in terrible pain and my Granny was up abusing her stash. She gave me some and within a minute of my second drag the pain was gone. My granny has gained 25 lbs and is still making the good fight her doc says it is in a large part due to the Marijuana.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (18) »

> TOPIC: Make Drugs Legal?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,