The Others - Page 2 of 3

Why would you think that they had no choice? - Page 2 - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 14th Jan, 2007 - 6:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 

The Others - 2001 - Not all is as it seems
The Others Related Information to The Others
Post Date: 5th Jan, 2006 - 9:12am / Post ID: #

The Others
A Friend

The Others - Page 2

I thought this movie was one of the best written screenplays in a long time. This movie did a good job of playing to the audiences perceptions without giving away the ending. I think that there was allot of spiritual undertone, but that it did not necessarily hail to one specific belief. The writer obviously used some christian belief, but also used some simply paranormal beliefs separate from religion as well. The parts about her not being able to ask questions about the Bible that her mother didn't know the answer too really played well into the ultimate meaning of the ending, which I still haven't fully comprehended, I will have to watch it again! laugh.gif

Sponsored Links:
14th Sep, 2006 - 4:06am / Post ID: #

Others The

I saw this again... such a great movie. One question comes to mind... why didn't the ghost servants not tell Nicole that she was a ghost in the beginning? Was it that she would not believe? Surely they could offer some kind of proof?

Post Date: 14th Sep, 2006 - 7:39am / Post ID: #

The Others
A Friend

The Others Sports & Fashion Music Movies

I think that the ghost servants where either dead or they were helpers/caretakers of some sort. They either didn't know themselves, or weren't allowed to tell them they were dead. The thing that really got me was the rules that they had to follow, like closing the doors all the time. I would like to understand where the rules came from because they originally seem like 'ticks' or 'habits' but in the end, they simply played into the stereo type of the slamming door with no body there.

14th Sep, 2006 - 12:57pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Others The

QUOTE (Konquererz)
I think that the ghost servants where either dead or they were helpers/caretakers of some sort.

Yes, they were ghosts and did seem to help those who moved into the house.

They either didn't know themselves, or weren't allowed to tell them they were dead.

Yes, they knew they were ghosts, they died several decades before, but I think they did not tell her she was a ghost, because they were hoping she would get it on her own. However, being a hysterical woman and murderer of her own children she was blinded to her doomed state.

they simply played into the stereo type of the slamming door with no body there.

Actually, those were the living people in the house who were also occupying at the same time, it is just that they could not see each other. The medium and the little girl were the only two who opened a 'doorway' to both worlds.

14th Sep, 2006 - 2:08pm / Post ID: #

Others The

This movie must be seen several times in order to understand it. It has many twists.

why didn't the ghost servants not tell Nicole that she was a ghost in the beginning? Was it that she would not believe? Surely they could offer some kind of proof

The servants were there to help her understand her fate. It does not mean that Nicole's character did not know she was dead, I think she knew, she was just in total denial. Her daughter gives a clue when she tells her brother about "the day mom went mad". The servants could not tell her anything because of Nicole's mood problems, they were there to slowly help her to see the Truth.

The thing that really got me was the rules that they had to follow, like closing the doors all the time. I would like to understand where the rules came from because they originally seem like 'ticks' or 'habits' but in the end, they simply played into the stereo type of the slamming door with no body there.

The reason for the doors if you remember is that Nicole tells the servants when they first come to the home that the kids have an allergy to light (photo-something is called in medical terms, I can't remember). That's why all doors and windows must be close and not light must be allowed to enter the house because the kids can die. I think that's the reason she ended up killing those kids. Can you imagine 24/7 in a dark house? Anyone can go mad living like that.

14th Jan, 2007 - 3:17am / Post ID: #

The Others

QUOTE (LDS_forever)
The servants were there to help her understand her fate.

Any reason they did this? Was it a favor to her or was it some kind of calling for them to help those who died in the house because they also died there?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Jan, 2007 - 6:14pm / Post ID: #

The Others - Page 2

I believe they had no choice, I am not sure if there was their "calling" but they needed to do it in such a way that Nicole's character would understand what was going on. She is a very cyclothymic woman who would not have understood or believed otherwise.

14th Jan, 2007 - 6:21pm / Post ID: #

The Others Movies Music Fashion & Sports - Page 2

Why would you think that they had no choice?

Did we ascertain why the one girl who was mute did not speak?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: The Others

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,