Halloween - Page 4 of 9

Can you really test for poison in candy? I - Page 4 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 1st Nov, 2007 - 5:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (9) »

?
Poll: Do you participate in Halloween?
  Yes       76.47%
  No       14.71%
  Sometimes       5.88%
  When I was a child       2.94%
Total Votes: 34
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Trick or Treat, Give Me Something Nice to Eat! This is about the celebration itself. Around the Community you will find various aspects of Halloween discussed. Do a Search or look at the recommended links within this Thread.
Halloween Related Information to Halloween
18th Oct, 2007 - 10:46pm / Post ID: #

Halloween - Page 4

Well I guess it is no longer a mystery why we celebrate a day like Halloween. This holiday is the brainchild of businessmen, to make handsome profits from all the consumers, who spend millions of dollars, just to have the right costume and make enough food or candy to distribute to others.

Sponsored Links:
19th Oct, 2007 - 6:04am / Post ID: #

Halloween

Got this off the History Channel Site:

Halloween's origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in).

The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.

To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities.

During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other's fortunes. When the celebration was over, they re-lit their hearth fires, which they had extinguished earlier that evening, from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the coming winter.

By A.D. 43, Romans had conquered the majority of Celtic territory. In the course of the four hundred years that they ruled the Celtic lands, two festivals of Roman origin were combined with the traditional Celtic celebration of Samhain.

The first was Feralia, a day in late October when the Romans traditionally commemorated the passing of the dead. The second was a day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple and the incorporation of this celebration into Samhain probably explains the tradition of "bobbing" for apples that is practiced today on Halloween.

By the 800s, the influence of Christianity had spread into Celtic lands. In the seventh century, Pope Boniface IV designated November 1 All Saints' Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. The celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints' Day) and the night before it, the night of Samhain, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween. Even later, in A.D. 1000, the church would make November 2 All Souls' Day, a day to honor the dead. It was celebrated similarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the eve of All Saints', All Saints', and All Souls', were called Hallowmas.

Today it is just a excuse for kids to get dressed up as their favorite character and to get some candy as well. Most of us like candy and kids play dress up all the time anyway, so I really see no harm in the holiday. It is only when we become adults do we try to explain and understand a deeper meaning. The kids...they only understand the cool costumes, candy and fun to be had....

When I was in college, our fraternity used to do something called the Great Pumpkin. We used to find a HUGE pumpkin and carve out the Jack-O-Lantern face. Then, since we were a engineering school, we rigged up a light inside the pumpking that responded to sound from a microphone. We had some speakers behind the bails of hay that the pumpkin sat on and all this was pretty close to a side window of the house.

The little kids would come up to the pumpkin and talk to it. We could hear the kids and would answer back...the lights would go on and off just like the pumpkin was talking. The looks on the little ones faces was wonderful. We even had a few of them come up and give the Great Pumpkin a hug before they went to the next house.

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 19th Oct, 2007 - 6:09am

26th Oct, 2007 - 1:20pm / Post ID: #

Halloween Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

When planning for Halloween decorations, you need to make sure they are "safe".

TAMPA, Florida -  A 6-year-old Central Florida boy-found hanging in his family's Halloween spider web display-nearly died from asphyxiation, according to WKMG-TV, local 6 in Tampa.

In an interview with the station, the boy's mother, Dawn Hampton, described finding her son entangled in the family's fake spider web made out of nylon.

"His little face, I saw it around his neck and his face is completely reddish purple," Hampton said.

31st Oct, 2007 - 11:38am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Halloween

It seems like Halloween is not very popular in some areas of Germany. This drunk man who fall asleep on a train (was dressed as a zombie) was mistaken for a corpse. laugh.gif

A drunken Halloween reveller in Germany found his costume was a little too realistic when he fell asleep on a train and was mistaken for a corpse.

Fellow passengers thought the man, who was dressed as a gore-covered zombie, had been murdered and called the police.

Police in the northern town of Bad Segeberg revealed how the 24-year-old had fallen into a drunken slumber on his way home from a Halloween party in Hamburg.

Believing his hands and face were smeared with blood, passengers alerted officers after getting no response from him.

A first aid team which was called to the scene soon cleared up the confusion, however.

Police told the man to remove his make-up, after which he was allowed to continue his journey.

Police spokeswoman Sikle Tobies said: "Bad Segeberg is in a rural area, and Halloween isn't very well known there.

"So people weren't expecting anyone to be dressed up in the train."

31st Oct, 2007 - 12:51pm / Post ID: #

Halloween

That is priceless LDS_forever!. But the article on the boy reminds us all safety first! I always try to take a step back when done and see if children can be hurt. After all if it looks like a ladder then it is a ladder and some one will try to climb it.

I love Halloween I take my boys out for half an hour then my wife exchanged places. She will not give up handing out the candy for the first 30 minutes as that is when all the cute monsters show up. I still hand out baked goods and made candy apples for this year. My little monsters next door gets them and wrapped commercial junk for the others. I really miss all the baked goods we received as children....those old ladies sure knew how to spoil ones supper.

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2007 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Halloween

EDITORIAL: THE BEST OF HALLOWEEN

Like tadpoles and dinosaurs, traditions evolve. And one tradition in the throes of evolution in America these days is the holiday of Halloween. Once the stomping ground of tots looking for treats, today Halloween has become a day for spook-alley romance, work-place costumes, greeting cards, ghoulish movies and ghostly parties.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,...23308,00.html

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Nov, 2007 - 5:03pm / Post ID: #

Halloween - Page 4

How much candy did everyone get? I was just wondering if anyone makes checks for poison or contaminated candy and if you do how do you do that, I'm really interested.

1st Nov, 2007 - 5:29pm / Post ID: #

Halloween Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 4

Can you really test for poison in candy? I think it is more of a preventative thing where you need to go to houses where you actually know the people and not to stranger's homes.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: Halloween

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,