Terrorism In Canada

Terrorism Canada - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 31st Dec, 2005 - 2:50pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
Terrorism In Canada Related Information to Terrorism In Canada
Post Date: 20th Dec, 2005 - 3:13pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Terrorism In Canada

AFFIDAVITS ALLEGE KHADR SAID HE BOUGHT WEAPONS FOR AL-QAEDA

FBI and RCMP officials say the eldest son of a Canadian family long accused of links to al-Qaeda told them he bought weapons for use against U.S. And coalition troops in Afghanistan.
Ref. Source

Sponsored Links:
28th Dec, 2005 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

Canada Terrorism

Canada has long been a quiet haven that is now being overrun by criminals, terrorists and the like. I believe if Canada were a more forceful country (expressive about their views like the US) then it would have been attacked hard by terrorist long ago. I remember some months ago they shipped back all Arab / Pakistan students in the country as an extra security measure. They certainly are not taking any chances after seeing what happened in New York.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3209 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 30th Dec, 2005 - 9:24am / Post ID: #

Terrorism In Canada
A Friend

Terrorism In Canada History & Civil Business Politics

I live in Canada. We are certainly not being overrun by criminals, terrorists, and the like. I did not notice any shipping of arab/pakistani students back home, as I had a Pakistani canmate in University for the year. News reports like that are very rare exceptions. I find that welcoming, especially considering the climate of terrorist fear that is emanating from the United States like the stink from a skunk, and the constant fear-mongering news stories about terrorist this and weapons of mass destruction that.

I've heard a lot of ramblings from some American 'news' services complaining about lax immigration and security laws. Of course, these same services (looking at Fox...) also claim that Canada should feel fortunate that the United States allows us to exist on the same continent as them. That sort of belligerence is scary.

Reconcile Edited: auroris on 30th Dec, 2005 - 9:27am

30th Dec, 2005 - 7:32pm / Post ID: #

Canada Terrorism

Auroris... I think you need to do a Forum Search using the word, "Canada". It will give you back about 12 pages of info, go through all of them and you will see a marked increase in crime, some of them being quite heinous. You will also find a lot of terrorism related issues. Now the following is not terrorism, but it shows that anyone and everyone is encountering crime in Canada:

PETTIGREW MUGGED IN MONTREAL SUBWAY

Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew was attacked in a Montreal subway station Wednesday night when a man tried to steal his cellphone.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...grew051230.html

Soon people will begin to think that Canada is becoming like New York City and that is a form of terror in itself. Here is some more:

8 SUSPECTS ARRESTED IN MONTREAL BOXING DAY HEIST

Eight people have been arrested in the northern part of Montreal following the Boxing Day robbery of an electronics store by thieves posing as security guards.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...bery051229.html

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3209 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 30th Dec, 2005 - 10:14pm / Post ID: #

Terrorism In Canada
A Friend

Canada Terrorism

I don't see it as any remarkable increase of crime in Canada, it's more likely a combination of increased awareness of Canadian crimes coupled with CBC's fairly recent change in the sorts of stories they air. In fact, Canada is seeing trends towards the reduction of violent crimes in general. As always, there are exceptional cases.

https://canadaonline.about.com/od/crime/a/crimerates2003.htm

One of the reasons for increased awareness of Canadian crimes and security threats seems to come from an increasing anti-Canadian sentiment coming from south of our border, who try to use sensationalism to paint Canada in a negative light. "Oh no! Crime in Canada!"

As an interesting aside, I found a tool online to compare selected crime rates in Canadian and American cities:
https://www.homefair.com/homefair/servlet/A...32&cid=homefair

Vancouver, with a crime index of 247 has more crime per 100,000 residents than Seattle at 158. Calgary (119) is less crime-ridden than Salt Lake City (186), but Edmonton (202) beats Denver (196). Winnipeg (202), despite being Canada's per capita murder capital, still has less crime than Minneapolis (305, which is higher than L.A. at 260).

Reconcile Edited: auroris on 30th Dec, 2005 - 10:24pm

30th Dec, 2005 - 10:53pm / Post ID: #

Terrorism In Canada

Those are valid arguments, however, to not drift from the main theme of the thread which is terrorism and just random criminal acts, let me share with you some specific links that you can look at:

First of all, Canadian Murders, Boy, Beaten and Burned where you can probably continue the criminal aspect.

Recently a Canadian family was interrogated heavily for their linkage to Al Qeada, I unfortunately did not post it here at the time because this thread did not exist. Concerning terrorism specifically:

* Muslims Targeted
* Canada Racial Profiling & The Law
* Canadian Preparations
* Canadian - USA Shield

Not directly related, but still good:
End of the Nation State

Now that this is out of the way, let us ensure we understand that Canada only enacted anti-terrorism laws after their seeing what happened to New York. Since that time they have been on an almost vigilante kind of quest to remove even the most suspicious of people that may be terrorists. An example of some of the laws enacted that are similar to the US Patriot Act:

Highlights of the Anti-terrorism Act: 

* It gives the police wide, sweeping powers to act on suspected acts of terrorism. 

* It allows suspected terrorists to be detained without charge for up to three days. 

* It makes it easier for the police to use electronic surveillance, which used to be seen as a last resort. 

* It allows for preventive arrests. 

* It allows judges to compel witnesses to give evidence during an investigation. 

* It allows for the designation of a group as a terrorist organization. 
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/news/background/cdnsecurity/ 

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 31st Dec, 2005 - 9:25am / Post ID: #

Terrorism In Canada
A Friend

Terrorism Canada

If the argument is that Canada implemented new anti-terrorism laws after 2001, I agree with you. That it's a vigilante hunt, I still disagree with. Though the new laws have some troubling aspects, they seem to be in line with the changes the European Union nations have also made after 2001. The anti-terrorism laws are extremely mild compared to what the United States was pressuring for.

31st Dec, 2005 - 2:50pm / Post ID: #

Terrorism Canada Politics Business Civil & History

QUOTE (Auroris)
The anti-terrorism laws are extremely mild compared to what the United States was pressuring for.

I believe that is a matter of perspective. Terrorists have been using Canada's low security zone as a 'base' as it were to launch attacks against the US. Take this one for example as far back as 1997:

QUOTE (Immigration Reform Website)
July 1997-Two Palestinians and a Pakistani were arrested on a tip-off to New York City police and were found to have suicide bombs and a note indicating they intended a terrorist attack in the city's subways. Ghazi Ibrahim Abu Mezer, a Palestinian, entered the United States (in Washington state) illegally from Canada three times and was apprehended and returned to Canada. He entered Canada as a student, but requested and received political asylum there. After his last U.S. entry the Canadians would not take him back because he had committed crimes in Canada...

On another note, if you venture to the linked threads I provided then you could dispute that (Canadian laws, growing crime and actions to deal with terrorism) in each case.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Terrorism In Canada

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,