Is Polygamy Organized Crime? - Page 5 of 7

I've added related Polygamy Threads - Page 5 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 20th Jun, 2010 - 1:27am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Being married to more than one woman at the same time - illegal in most parts of the Western World. In the Middle East and South Africa it is legal. (See links to related Threads)
Is Polygamy Organized Crime? Related Information to Is Polygamy Organized Crime?
18th Jun, 2010 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

Is Polygamy Organized Crime? - Page 5

I wasn't able to handle one wife, I can't imagine the complexities of having more. That being said, I'm rather libertarian about such things. If people want to freely enter into such an arrangement, especially if it is based in their religious convictions, I don't think the state has any business interfering with it.

My concern would be that in such a culture, as has happened, the young girls are coveted at an age where they can't reasonably be expected to make a mature choice. Still, that's a matter for internal control and as long as there is a minimum age, such as 18, I say hands off to the government.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 1 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.1%

Sponsored Links:
18th Jun, 2010 - 1:33am / Post ID: #

Crime Organized Polygamy Is

I am not quite sure the majority of the US would agree that polygamy is an acceptable lifestyle, but that would be up to the voters or our elected officials to sort out.

However, I have to disagree that extra maritial affairs are tolerated en masse. There is a penalty to this behaviour, if your spouse does not agree with it and that is divorce. Today, a woman can pretty much take you to the cleaners at settlement and still collect a hefty sum on a monthly basis for your indescretions should she decide. The courts will assess fault and you will pay dearly. Also, society doesnt look highly upon people that cheat in marriages. You will split friends or potentially loose them all in a cheating scandal. Judgements are passed...they just arent all legal ones.

If the relationship with the other women is purely a financially supportive one, then you have nothing to worry about as the government has no way to claim you are anything more than a kind and generous person. However, if at any time you are acting actually as a husband to the other women or the children...then it really is a crime as the law currently states. I sense that there is a bit more than you just being a financial aid to the women and children.

My major concern (until it is legalized) is that these realatively closed groups of people practicing the lifestyle are dependent on no one becoming disenchanted, leaving and telling the authorities of what is happening in these communities. In order to preserve that way of life, they would have to stop anyone from doing just such a thing. It is here where I fear that actions against ones freedoms would be taken and I honestly cannot see where this wouldnt happen to some degree.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

18th Jun, 2010 - 11:29am / Post ID: #

Is Polygamy Organized Crime? History & Civil Business Politics

Your last point is one that has always concerned me that being when one wants out out of this lifestyle and is suppressed or forced into continuing this lifestyle. Much the way an abusive spouse keeps their spouse from leaving, very unhealthy and the children see this and think it is acceptable. Funny how this could be construed to be the governments fault since they will not legalize it. I know it actually is just an unhealthy mind of the aggressor.

A point I ponder that keeps coming up is common law marriage. I know here it is to the point where if you share accommodations with a person of the opposite sex you have to watch that you are not tagged as common law. Paying rent to one person is a way around this. A soon as you have ongoing sexual relations however that all changes. I do not know how this would play into a relation where it is ongoing and involving children

As to being illegal it certainly is against the law to marry more then one wife. Combined with the laws for a common law spouse makes living with two ladies illegal.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

18th Jun, 2010 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Crime Organized Polygamy Is

I think those who don't support polygamy they do it mostly out of what they perceive to be a moral conflict. Hence, they focus on the illegality of someone marrying more than one person. Even if that is removed, they still feel it is the wrong thing to do. In my view, as long as there are ADULTS making the choices for their own lives, I see no conflict or crime.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

18th Jun, 2010 - 2:06pm / Post ID: #

Crime Organized Polygamy Is

If it were legal, then there would be no need to have organized groups practicing the lifestyle...you would be able to do it individually without fear or repercussions. My biggest issue with polygamy today is this it is illegal and those who practice it tend to live in like-minded groups that depend on no one leaving. Anyone thought to want to leave the group would likely face actions and pressures which at minimum would encroach their freedom of choice and potentially far worse.

You make it legal, then there is no reason for the above to happen. There actually would be little reason for communes practicing the lifestyle as it would be accepted and legal to do anywhere as long as they are consenting adults.

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 18th Jun, 2010 - 2:18pm

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

18th Jun, 2010 - 2:52pm / Post ID: #

Is Polygamy Organized Crime?

Krakyn, There is only one small group (around SLC) with about 1000-1500 members that I am aware of that might "force" it's members. All the rest of the approx 50,000 can leave if they so desire. There are conflicting opinions about the FLDS regarding the ease of leaving the community. I can only tell you that you can see the sisterwives shop in St George UT in Wal-mart etc. One would only have to start yelling help or "steal" something on purpose in order to get picked up by the local police. Only one of many scenario to "get out. The sisterwives do have cell phones etc. So, don't paint all of us with the same paint brush. Some of us are mormon, others are from other religions and some have no religious affiliation at all. The great majority believes and practices "no force" polygamy. No under aged marriages, no welfare rip offs, tax paying citizens. A lot of us have construction companies, others are laborers, medical doctors, lawyers, accountants, retail clerks, farmers, chiropractors, students, nurses etc. You might even have a colleague at work that lives a polygamous relationship. Not all of the sisterwives walk around in prairie dresses. I am not trying to convert anybody here. Just trying to counter wrong information. This lifestyle is not for everybody. One stated that they could hardly "handle" one wife. I do not "handle" a wife. They love me and we like to share our lives together. Should one of them want to leave, they are at liberty to do so. Force or taking anybody's agency away is satanic (in my opinion). It saddens my Heavenly Father as all are His precious children. And in the end we all have to account for what we have done on this earth.
I know men and women, who do not want to get married. Period. They do not want to be tied down to even one person. That is their choice. Not all of our children grow up and want to also live in a polygamous relationship, but the vast majority does. Again that is their free will. They are free to visit, and come and go. And to put a label of organized crime on us is rather insulting. I see it as nothing different then all the speeders in LA.A. Living in the same neighborhood, committing the same deed, therefore must be in organized crime? We live in the same communities, because we can then be more open about it. If my neighbors live polygamy, then we can be open about it and not tell you some story of my wife's best friend that had a messy divorce and we help her get back on her feet etc etc. I think it is like same gender partners that in the past had to live a lie. It's tiring and is an insult to the other sisterwives to always be introduced as a good family friend. Even though we do that because we have to. But so you know I have refused to do that. I introduce each one as my wife and I am always amazed at the acceptance and interest that we get.
But please do not stereo type us all. I would not do that to you either and believe me there are a lot of monogamous relationships out there that r-pe people. Commit incest, beat up spouses and emotionally r-pe people. We have some rotten apples and so do you. Let's leave it to the authorities to deal with that. The end for me on this topic. Take care.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 0 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Jun, 2010 - 9:23pm / Post ID: #

Is Polygamy Organized Crime - Page 5

OK Just one more reply:
Vincenzo you keep stating that we are living together because it is illegal. Obviously you have been in our communities and "interviewed" families. A man with actual facts so to speak. hm?
So, it should be fairly easy to locate organized crime. There is the Italian neighborhood with it's Sicilian/Palermo mafia bosses. The Chinese neighborhood that is basically run from Hongkong, The blacks get their orders from Johannesburg, S.Africa. Really?

You see Vincenzo these neighborhoods exist because these families have a number of values, customs, ethics, morals, languages, relationships, cultures etc that they share. We have that too plus some of our communities are also religious oriented. If I was a Jehova witness I would not be so keen to live in a 99.999999999% LDS/Baptist/Orthodox Jews neighborhood.

It has NOTHING to do with illegalities. Get it in your head. When it becomes legal and believe me it will, we will still live together. We have no barbed wired 10 feet high fences around our COMPOUNDS either.

P.S. We have members living in many communities, maybe even in yours. I live in Las Vegas NV. And so do several others. Also in L.A. And in many other cities. My neighbors know nothing about our lifestyle.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 0 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0%

20th Jun, 2010 - 1:27am / Post ID: #

Is Polygamy Organized Crime Politics Business Civil & History - Page 5

I've added related Polygamy Threads to the top of this Thread, make sure to look for them so we can maintain the aspects of the Law in this Thread and not head into social consequences or religion as in other Threads.

In the US is it against the law to be married, live with your spouse and then have other women there living with all of you who you consider not to be your legal wives but nevertheless play the same role?

Is the law based on declaring yourself as married or is it just the appearance?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Is Polygamy Organized Crime?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,