Nuclear Explosion, Moving Earth's Orbit? - Page 2 of 4

I was wondering if the earth was to move a - Page 2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 28th Apr, 2010 - 5:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Shifting the axis of the earth, can something such as a nuclear bomb cause this? If not, what can?
Nuclear Explosion, Moving Earth's Orbit? Related Information to Nuclear Explosion, Moving Earth's Orbit?
Post Date: 31st Jan, 2004 - 10:36pm / Post ID: #

Nuclear Explosion, Moving Earth's Orbit?
A Friend

Nuclear Explosion, Moving Earth's Orbit? - Page 2

Coordinated nuclear explosions shifting the earth's orbit is a science fiction tool, and nothing more. The earth's mass is somewhere between 2.2 x 10E24 and 2.2 x 10E25 pounds, if I did my math right. It's already moving in an elliptical orbit about the sun; subject to the gravitational pull of the sun and its own angular momentum (which are tremendous quantities I'd rather not try calculating unless I had a couple hours to spare).

Here's something to think about: the difference between a shaped charge versus an omnidirectional explosion. Unless you can devise a way to focus the energy of each nuclear explosion towards the earth's surface, more than half of the energy is traveling in the opposite direction of the force vector you need to apply to move the mass of the earth. And you have to account for the reflection of some of the energy as well - only absorbed energy is going to effect the earth's orbital path.

Again, maybe if I have more time, I 'll consider estimating the number of nuclear devices on earth, and their combined energy. It would seem to come down to a comparison of the earth's kinetic energy, versus the energy produced by all the nuclear devices, allowing for some loss of energy because shaped charges or not, no process is 100% efficient.

Enough rambling for now. There are plenty of people who can do this sort of analysis without having to open their physics books to dig up the pertinent equations and solve each of them.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 1st Feb, 2004 - 1:57am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Orbit Earths Moving Explosion Nuclear

I was going to say something like that.but you said it better.Thanx.

Post Date: 19th Nov, 2004 - 6:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Nuclear Explosion, Moving Earth's Orbit? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Sorry, Newton's law... force produce effect...but only in different bodies...

Very simple way to prove it... your heart is beating right now (if is not you not supose to be reading this), why aren't you jumping UP and DOWN now????? Because cause and effect are acting in the same body.

You should be more afraid of other effect... We are constatly loosing atmosphere to space, our gravity pull cannot hold 100% of the atmosphere here on earth...and if we loose more, we will became like MARS.

Post Date: 22nd Dec, 2006 - 8:45am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Orbit Earths Moving Explosion Nuclear

The main point is:

Are there enough Nuclear Bombs in the world to make it a waste land?
And unfortunately the answer is yes.

Of course not by changing Earth's orbit, but by altering earth's environment so that life can no longer be supported in it.

Rather off topic, but...
And thanks to America for starting the nuclear Armageddon run.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Offtopic Tags so that the Thread maintains the same subject matter and does not develop into another Topic.

22nd Dec, 2006 - 10:31am / Post ID: #

Orbit Earths Moving Explosion Nuclear

Kriptonis, I do not see what you said as being Constructive comments towards the progression of the Topic. The main point is NOT if there enough Nuclear Bombs in the world to make it a waste land. The question is:

QUOTE (JB)
Nuclear Explosion, moving Earth's Orbit.

Most experts in geography say that the flutter of a butterfly's wings in Japan can cause thunderstorms in South America, so then what about a nuclear bomb? What would that cause in another part of the world?

Post Date: 23rd Dec, 2006 - 2:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Newton does have the win. Now if the rocket were to be fired from the moon to the earth... I'm not sure if that would be considered the same system.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 28th Apr, 2010 - 10:21am / Post ID: #

Nuclear Explosion Moving Earth's Orbit - Page 2

Name: CzechGuy

Comments: Well JB, first of all what you are describing with the butterfly is known as the "The butterfly effect" which is a metaphor that describes the concept of sensitive dependence on initial conditions in chaos theory. It simply says that small differences in the initial condition of a dynamical system may produce large variations in the long term behavior of the system. It does not directly say that when a butterfly waves its wings it will cause a storm somewhere else. According to the theory it is possible but in reality it is extremely unlikely so we never experience such chain of events.
And to the questions about the nuclear bomb. No, today's bombs can not significantly change the earth orbit. You need to understand that explosions cause by men are not as big as the explosions produced by nature sometimes. The largest nuke every detonated was the Tsar bomb created by the Soviets and detonated in Novaya Zemlya. However the bomb yield was only 50 Megatons which is one quarter of the yield of the eruption of Krakatoa in 1883. There has been much bigger explosions in the history if the planet. Large meteorites or asteroid hitting the earth once in thousands of years produce thousand times larger explosions and still do not move the earth significantly. Such explosions could shift the earth orbit just a small fraction of the radius of a single atom but that does not cause earth to boil or freeze.

28th Apr, 2010 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

Nuclear Explosion Moving Earth's Orbit Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 2

I was wondering if the earth was to move a fraction from a bomb. Is there a possibility that it would just fall back into place. Its orbit is determined by its mass an stuff so as long as its mass stays the same it should retain the same orbit. Maybe taking metals off the earth with space stations and such would change the orbit or receiving more material as in meteors?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Nuclear Explosion, Moving Earth's Orbit?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,