Emma Smith, Example? - Page 3 of 6

What position is it that you think Emma Smith - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 9th Aug, 2011 - 5:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Emma Smith
Emma Hale Smith - also a KoZ2 - Kingdom of Zion Topic
Emma Smith, Example? Related Information to Emma Smith, Example?
Post Date: 23rd Jun, 2007 - 9:10pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example?
A Friend

Emma Smith, Example? - Page 3

I am new and hope to meet you all in the coming days as I check the boards. I have been intrigued by the posts on my great great grandmother Emma. I normally do not do chat's on open boards such as this but I am troubled by the varying views of Emma and hope to talk with some of you. In short, for this post, I wish to say a few things. It is well known in the family that Joseph suffered from ulcers, Emma never tried poisoning him. The problem that has come up in this generations is that too many conclusions have been made by documents which use second hand information as sources. There were many who said a great deal for Emma before the migration West but then had plenty of bad to say when she would not join them. She went from elect lady and supporter of her husband, to a virtual witch who tried to poison her husband. Those who remained her friend, even though they went out west have nothing but good to say about her, those who turned against her have all manner of evil to say. I have read from the journals of her own children and grandchildren and have found that she professed to them a great love for Joseph and a deep sorrow for losing him. They recorded that every evening she would go upstairs and gaze out of the Nauvoo house window at the Mississippi, tears streaming down her face. She never recovered from the loss of Joseph and carried that sorrow with her until she died. That does not sound like a woman who tried to kill her husband.
I choose not to believe the things that come from some who went out west and did not live near Emma, see her on a day to day basis. I choose rather to read the journals of those who lived near or with her until the end of her days. They are more credible witnesses and they do describe a woman who gave her all to help those in need, brought her children up the best she could despite the hardships that fell upon her after the Saints left.
I look forward to talking with you all. This will be fun for me as I love meeting new people.
thanks biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links:
23rd Jun, 2007 - 11:55pm / Post ID: #

Example Smith Emma

Bankash, I have a couple of questions, you may know the answer. Thanks.

1. Was Emma ever excommunicated or she just chose not to follow the Saints to the West? What was the reason for her to leave the Church?

2. Is it true that she denied Joseph ever engaged in the practice of Plural Marriage or is just a myth? If she did deny it, how is it possible with the overwhelming information that he did practice it?

14th Jul, 2007 - 6:53pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I have updated the bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showforum=120 site to include quotes about Emma Smith: see here.

Emma Smith, Example?
Emma Smith, Example? (Hover)

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2007 - 8:02pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example?
A Friend

Page 3 Example Smith Emma

I have to tell you. It is a strange seat to sit in, being a great great grand daughter of Joseph and Emma, and hear many people talk as if they know them, and I am speaking primarily of the negative stuff. I am sure many feel as if they know them positively and that is a sincere and genuine feeling. But when I hear the things about poisoning and such it makes me ill. From the journals that the children and grandchildren we know that her love for Joseph was such that she would never do him harm, and when he was taken from her she was severely inconsolable, that does not sound like someone who whished to poison their husband. For years she was in sorrow, even up until her death. The grandchildren recall that every day she would take time to go to her room and look out of the window at the river, tears streaming down her face. Everyone knew not to bother her at such times. This grandchild asked her own mother why "Grandma Emma's eyes to not smile like yours," to which her mother replied, "Because she has a deep sorrow in her heart."
As for where Emma is now, what her place is, her nurse recalled to Emma's children a vision that Emma had right before she died. Joseph had come for her and told her to put her bonnet on, she did, and he took her to a mansion with many apartments. In one lay a babe, her little Don Carlos who had passed away in Nauvoo. She ran over and picked up the baby, embracing him to her saying, "Joseph, where are the rest of my children," Joseph said, "be patient emma and you shall have the rest of your children." In this vision she saw the Savior with Joseph. The reason she called out Joseph's name as she was dying was because he had come for her like in the vision, but this time he took her home. If Emma was in hell then she would not have had such a vision, and the Savior would not have blessed her with his presence.
Why Brigham and others made certain claims I cannot say. I know he was angry that she would not go West. There is NO proof that she tried to poison him, we only have hearsay and should not judge"¦by their fruits ye shall know them"¦.that is what we are supposed to go by, and all of Emma's actions before and after Joseph's death supports the fact that she was completely devoted to him. Like it or not, there were some among the company that went West that would have said anything to make Emma look bad. Almon Babbit was overheard saying that he would make sure Emma went west or make her life so miserable that she would be forced to accept help from the brethren. When you have things like that being voiced the rumor mill just turns faster and faster. I choose not to believe anything that cannot be supported by the reports of her children and those who were closest to her. The pre-exodus period has everyone talking marvelously about Emma and then after it is the opposite.

LDS FOREVER-Joseph had five children when he was killed, Joseph III, Julia, Frederick Granger Williams, Alexander Hale (my great grandfather), and David Hyrum. Yes, Joseph III was much affected by what happened as a result of his father's death and the things that followed. Much of the bitterness in the family has come from the perspective of the children and what they seen and heard, what they saw their mother endure. They were too young to understand the dynamics of what was going on. Plus when they were older their Uncle William told them that Brigham and the Twelve were behind Joseph and Hyrum's death's, and tried to poison Samuel, so there was no love lost between the children and some of the Saints.

I agree with Gaucho:
Five weeks later Joseph again experienced sudden nausea and vomiting. "I awoke this morning in good health but was soon suddenly seized with a great dryness of the mouth and throat, and sickness of the stomach, and vomited freely. . . . I was never prostrated so low, in so short a time, before, but by evening was considerably revived." He mentioned being "somewhat out of health" on January 2 3, "somewhat unwell" on April 2, and "suddenly taken sick," on April 28. Acute indigestion, food poisoning, ulcers, gallstones, and other diseases cause a reaction similar to Joseph's. Certainly Joseph's life was filled with the emotional tension and conflict that traditionally accompany ulcers. When he had his second attack of vomiting early in December, his diary states, "My wife waited on me, assisted by my scribe, Willard Richards, and his brother, Levi, who administered some herbs and mild drinks." In this instance Joseph portrayed Emma as a helper and nurse instead of the instigator of the attack. He apparently failed to correct the conclusion held by Brigham Young and John Taylor, for Emma remained forever suspect in their minds.

Post Date: 7th Jul, 2009 - 3:07am / Post ID: #

Example Smith Emma

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 10-Sep 03, 9:39 PM)
...Why they will leave her helpless? there is not really a reason for it. They loved Joseph, why suddenly after his death they will leave his widow helpless.?

Name: SisterO

Comments: Because she knew the truth... And without the sugar coating! She stated polygamy came from evil! I commend her for standing up against the powers of the leaders, and in the end the story was not told quite as colorful as things really happened.

17th Jun, 2010 - 2:29am / Post ID: #

Emma Smith, Example?

I was reading a little about Emma and I thought it was interesting that after 3 years of Joseph's death she remarried a divorced, non-member if the church. A guy who helped the Saints a lot, his name was Lewis Bidamon. He thought Joseph was a good man but deceived thinking he was a prophet.

After 17 years of marriage to Emma he fathered the child of another woman and after Emma's death he remarried the same woman.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 31st Jul, 2011 - 9:57pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith Example - Page 3

Name: Marci

Comments: I've been reading more about Emma Smith and I really can't blame her for the position she took on many issues especially Joseph's decision with plural marriage. I don't think Emma accepted it ever but still loved Joseph.

9th Aug, 2011 - 5:09pm / Post ID: #

Emma Smith Example Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

What position is it that you think Emma Smith took that you can't blame her for, also what were you referring to when you said "reading" is that just this site's posts or a specific book, just curious.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Emma Smith, Example?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,