Time Travel? - Page 4 of 9

I think that the reasoning that we do not - Page 4 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 11th Feb, 2005 - 2:14am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (9) »

?
Poll: Do you believe it is possible to travel in time?
  Yes       62.34%
  No       37.66%
Total Votes: 77
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Do you believe?
Time Travel? Related Information to Time Travel?
21st Nov, 2004 - 8:30pm / Post ID: #

Time Travel? - Page 4

The problem is that we're travelling in a constant direction at a constant speed.

Actually, that's exactly what Einstein proved was wrong in his theory. Time is relative to speed. The faster you go, the less time it takes.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Dec, 2004 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

Time Travel?
A Friend

Travel Time

All in theory ofcourse, but time travel to the past is simply not possible. Not because it couldn't be done, but because going into the past would effect the future no matter how insignificant your presence seems to be. If you went back to the time before Cortez you may introduce viruses that we are immune to but they are not, in turn killing most of them. Affecting the future. If you went back in time to prevent something from happening, like a car crash, it would prevent you from actually changing it. If you stopped a car crash you wouldn't need to go back into the past therefor preventing the invention of the time machine you used. Deep Subject. biggrin.gif

17th Dec, 2004 - 2:34am / Post ID: #

Time Travel? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

going into the past would effect the future no matter how insignificant your presence seems to be

Not if you believe in quantum space. I don't really know about that relatively new subject, but relating to time travel, it assumes that there are infinitely many universes, of which two may be exactly alike. Therefore you can travel to one of those planets, and view the exact same past, only it will affect not our future, but theirs.

Another theory is that our planet as it was in the past is not the same as today. It is splitting out every choice we make into a new universe, therefore what we do in the past will not lead to our present.

Post Date: 11th Jan, 2005 - 8:05pm / Post ID: #

Time Travel?
A Friend

Page 4 Travel Time

I actually wrote a term paper on the subject of time travel, so I have done quite a bit of research into it.

The main thing that people point to in the subject of time travel is Einstein's theory of Special Relativity, as it relates to the relativity of space and time. In his theory, Einstein attempted to answer experiments done by Michelson and Morely, which showed that the speed of light is constant, regardless of perspective. This was contradictory to Newtonian physics, which stated that an object moving towards a beam of light should measure a speed for that beam equal to the speed of light relative to the ground, plus the spead of the observer relative to the ground. Instead, the speed of light always measures the same.

Einstein's conclusion for this was his conjecture that time is a relative measurement, and the speed of light is a universal constant. Newtonian physics states that time is a uiversal constant, and speed is a relative measure.
In a nutshell, Einstein's theory states that, as an object approaches the speed of light, time approaches 0. In theory, by exceeding the speed of light, time approaches negative infinity.

"Time travel" into the future is possible, as pointed out by others in this post. In fact, with a highly accurate clock (which has not yet been invented), the simple act of twirling your arm around like a windmill would measure a difference in time. Does this mean that your arm has traveled into the future, while the rest of your body had stayed the same?

Traveling into the past is an entirely different matter. As it now stands - or I should say, stood - it is physically impossible for anything to go faster than the speed of light. However, a recent experiment debunked this (I believe it was conducted at MIT, but I could be wrong). By connecting together several pieces of coaxial cable of different resistances (which causes a signal to bounce back and forth in the line), researchers were able to make the peaks of a signal travel through the line at about 4 times the speed of light. While the actual "mass" of the signal was slowed down to accomodate for the increase of the peaks, this does provide some promise to those looking to exceed the speed of light.

The other problem lies with Einstein's theory of General Relativity, which relates to the relativity of mass and gravity. In a nutshell, it states that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass approaches infinity. From this, it is easy to see why travel beyond the speed of light is impossible - you can't accelerate an object of infinite mass. Also, in theory, to exceed the speed of light would require an object's mass to exceed infinity - also something that is impossible.

Still, theoretical physicists do have their speculations. Possibly the most plausible theory is the wormhole theory (largely popularized by Stephen Hawking). By this theory, a "hole" can be made between one spacetime frame, and another spacetime frame, allowing a person to travel between one particular point in spacetime to another, and then return to their original point.
Another theory requires the existence of space "super strings", something that has not yet been proven. By this theory, a shuttle of some kind could begin to circle around one of these space strings, using gravitational pull to eventually exceed the speed of light.

So, thats pretty much where we stand right now.
Coincidentally, a post made by ReneeisXena reflected one of my conjecture questions that I used for research: perhaps ghosts are time travelers from the future?

Post Date: 15th Jan, 2005 - 6:57pm / Post ID: #

Time Travel?
A Friend

Travel Time

I want to clarify something that Griffith said.

The problem is that we're travelling in a constant direction at a constant speed.

This does not mean that we can't affect the speed of our travel in time by going really fast in distance, but that, for the great majority of us we all travel in time at approximately the same rate, hence giving us all a synchronized experience of what time is. So, technically, we are all time travellers.

Now, for the ability to change our travel in time. That is a bit more difficult. In order to change our rate of movement in time, that depends on who's clock you're referring to. Even the fastest traveller's clock will always say that he is travelling at exactly one second per second. However, if you judge it by someone else's clock, you will see variations depending on the relative speed (hence the name of the theory of relativity). Does this mean that by one perspective you are travelling differently in time while in another you are not? No. It means that 'time' is a relative experience, it is not an absolute.

There are some physicists who aregue that time is not even real, except as a way of measureing how many moments of perception an object has, hence a space traveller is not really changing his rate through time, but how quickly he gains units of perception. As a side note, all objects can be said to percieve others around them by means of various interactions at hundreds of different levels.

Other scientists think that the passage of time is the collection of a particular frame of reference's chronological units. By travelling faster or sitting near a strong gravity field, they can accrue slower, but once you have them, there is no going back. By the same token, you cannot visit another object (or set of objects) before they have accrued the number of time units that they have at that precise moment. You can, however, visit an almost identical object that has collected less of those units (either by the alternate universe idea of the boundless universe idea, both of which are discussions for another thread).

It is also possible to propogate information as speeds that may seem to imply time travel. An experiment from a couple of years back found that by shooting a lazer of a particular wavelength in a pulsed way that defined the specific set of photons into a tube full of a particular mixture of gasses, you could get an identical set of photons out the other end in less time than it would take a beam of light to pass through the intervening space. Early reports said that the beam of light was travelling in time. Later it was determined that the truth of the matter was that the initial beam of photons was absorbed and the information about them was propogated to the other end of the tube faster than light can travel, then identical photons were emitted at the far end. As far as I know, there has been no solid explaintion for the effect, but it is there still the same.

23rd Jan, 2005 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Time Travel?

As I read all the posts on this topic I am more fascinated by it then ever. I would love to believe that time travel is possible. I still think it's improbable. Perhaps someday in the far future it may be possible. If it were possible where, or perhaps I should say when, would you go, and why? I would go to early August 1968, and the why is so I could see my brother one more time. He died August 22, 1968. Right now real time travel is the stuff of science fiction, but no one can be sure that fiction won't be fact in the future. Only time will tell. wink.gif
(Heehee sorry for the bad puns there.)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Jan, 2005 - 10:40am / Post ID: #

Time Travel - Page 4

Ah, time travel, one of my favorite topics of discussion! I personally believe that traveling back into the past is possible. Though I doubt humans will ever discover it, hence the lack of time travelers. Or maybe the human race just doesn't survive long enough to send that many people into the past, who knows?

We live in a 4 dimensional space-time continuum, meaning that we observe 3 spatial dimension and one for time. We are freely able to travel between the first 3, so why shouldn't we be able to travel freely on the 4th one as well? I think we can and are also doing it as well.

By traveling forward in time, we change, our bodies get older, our knowledge grows. We know that this is true, so why shouldn't we assume that the same goes for traveling back in time? Just that instead of aging, we get younger and our knowledge disappears, meaning, if we were to travel from 2005 to 1995, when we arrived, we would be in the same state as we were in 1995, never knowing what has happened. But what would happen if you choose to travel to a time before your birth? I think you would cease to exist, until you were actually born.

If this were true, it would be a perfect way to avoid those mind-twisting time travel paradoxes (e.g, if you were to travel back in time to change an event, your future self wouldn't have a reason to travel back in time to change this event, causing it to happen again and giving your future self again a reason to go back in time, etc. etc. etc.), since you wouldn't posses any knowledge of events after your arrival!

I hope I didn't confuse anyone too much wink.gif

11th Feb, 2005 - 2:14am / Post ID: #

Time Travel Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 4

I think that the reasoning that we do not see any time travellers therefore time travel doesn't exist is not valid. There could be many ways in which time travel does exist, but still we do not see them. The range of travel may be limited, so they are not capable of travelling back as far as to reach this period of time. Or maybe time travel is possible, but restricted by the government because of the conflicts it involves. Or if you think of it in the Quantum approach, there are many parallel worlds so the one you travel back to does not have to be the one you came from.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: Time Travel?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,