Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 5 of 11

QUOTE The Church requires that no masks be - Page 5 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Oct, 2007 - 6:31pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (11) »
Considering the history behind Halloween do you think it is right that the Church encourages the activity within its' Chapels?
Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Related Information to Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween
Post Date: 11th Oct, 2007 - 5:28am / Post ID: #

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween
A Friend

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 5

Defensive? I type all these posts chuckling out loud at how silly this entire argument is but I have nothing else better to do at the moment so here goes...

No one here has suggested eliminating Halloween

Sure you did. You said-

The children wouldn't miss it if the holiday didn't exist.
That's pretty much suggesting it.

I on the other hand never said anything about tossing kids off anyone's property if they ring your doorbell. I also never made any reference to anyone being excommunicated for participating in Halloween events. Kinda going overboard there sweetie.

Exaggerating your opponents words is not exactly a great way to debate a topic but you gave it your best shot in your most recent post.

The point I was trying to make is that you are falling all over yourself to say that children should not be deprived of participating in Halloween events, when it's not something necessary to their lives.

It's as necessary as any other festive occasion. Is Christmas really necessary? How about a birthday? Let's see what holidays we can eliminate from the calendar year since they are not essential to our personal salvation. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.. I can't think of a single one that is that important. While we're at it let's scrap the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Mother Goose. Non-essential characters in children's lives.

But you invoked the name of the Savior to make your point that the whole thing is harmless and sanctioned by Him, and that's just wrong, in my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion as am I.

The Church stands behind the concept of celebrating Halloween. I base that on the plain fact that LDS stakes across the USA participate in it year after year. Based on that simple concept I know that it is not wrong and that it is fine for children to participate in it. The church encourages children to participate. You on the other hand are troubled by the actions of the church with regards to Halloween and that they participate in it on church grounds.

Sounds to me you need to have a talk with your stake president about this issue. Go find him and have a heart-to-heart about this hot topic. You can probably find him on October 31st, with his family, walking down his neighborhood street celebrating Halloween. Keep an eye out for his son. He's wearing the Harry Potter costume!

Abracadabra!

Sponsored Links:
11th Oct, 2007 - 11:07am / Post ID: #

Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

First off, let us be sure we understand what this Thread is about... should the Church sponsor Halloween themed events. This is not so much about what we personally think Halloween is or is not - there are other Threads for that.

QUOTE (Hyperwrx)
Nope, you're right. I do not know for certain what Jesus would do on Halloween. I can only make an guess, which I did.

Actually, in your statement you used the word "sure" which is not merely a guess.

I'm sure if Jesus were here he's have his car's trunk open in the church parking lot and be smiling as he handed out candy to all the smiling children.

It is advisable to always use "In my opinion..." as is given in the 'Read Me First' Thread of this Board.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't you now live on an island in the middle of the ocean? In your youth did Argentina celebrate the American holiday of Halloween? Just trying to gauge how you seem to now know so much about a holiday you've probably only read about on the internet.

Irrelevant, someone does not have to live in a certain place to have an opinion or comment. You need to understand the Art of Discussion if you are going to have worthwhile input here. For your information I live on that SAME island with my wife, LDS_forever, and yet I have experienced Halloween in many countries both in the UK, USA and right here in Trinidad, and yes, she has to, however, that has nothing to do with whether the Church should or should not sponsor Halloween events. Honesty, I was not going to respond to the rants in this Thread, but I could not let that last cheap shot pass.

11th Oct, 2007 - 2:17pm / Post ID: #

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (Hyperwrx)
The Church stands behind the concept of celebrating Halloween. I base that on the plain fact that LDS stakes across the USA participate in it year after year.

I agree. The Church, by its very "official" silence on the matter of wards and stakes celebrating Halloween, apparently doesn't have a problem with it. But I doubt you will find anything in Official Church Doctrine, The Official Church Handbook, any Ensign, New Era, or Friend article by any General Authority that actually sanctions Halloween.

I don't need to talk to my stake president about it - I'm not having any moral crisis about Halloween. My opinion about it is irrelevant to how the Church or any other person deals with it. We were simply discussing it.

Rather off topic, but...
QUOTE (Hyperwrx)
I on the other hand never said anything about tossing kids off anyone's property if they ring your doorbell.

Actually, yes, you did:
QUOTE (Hyperwrx)
And what is your Halloween strategy? You turn out the lights, don't answer the children at the door, thereby demonstrating your Christian love and hospitality. But if you do encounter a child in a pink bunny costume it goes something like this:

"We don't celebrate Halloween! There's no candy here for you, kid! Now get out of here."
(And what does Christian love have to do with celebrating Halloween?)

QUOTE (Hyperwrx)
I also never made any reference to anyone being excommunicated for participating in Halloween events.

Actually, yes, you did:
QUOTE (Hyperwrx)
99.999% of LDS families enjoy Halloween and are still members in good standing.

QUOTE (Hyperwrx)
Exaggerating your opponents words is not exactly a great way to debate a topic ....

Really? Well, then I guess this was inappropriate:
QUOTE (Hyperwrx)
Is Christmas really necessary? How about a birthday? Let's see what holidays we can eliminate from the calendar year since they are not essential to our personal salvation. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.. I can't think of a single one that is that important. While we're at it let's scrap the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Mother Goose. Non-essential characters in children's lives.

11th Oct, 2007 - 3:15pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

Correct me if I am wrong but don't you now live on an island in the middle of the ocean? In your youth did Argentina celebrate the American holiday of Halloween? Just trying to gauge how you seem to now know so much about a holiday you've probably only read about on the internet.

Wrong, I lived in the US and I did see firsthand what Halloween is all about. I suppose this was another hyper "guess" of yours like the one of Jesus giving candy from his car on Halloween. You should be careful in assuming so much about someone when you are obviously clueless.

Do you honestly think this small international conclave of online LDS members within this forum has made some monumental breakthrough discovering the true paganistic origins of this traditional holiday? laugh.gif. Don't you think if this was such a terrible sin going house to house dressed up as a fairy or a vampire repeating 'trick or treat' that our church leaders would advise us against it?

This has nothing to do with being or not a "terrible sin", this is a matter of PERSONAL choice. If some members do not like Halloween and do not want their kids to participate on it, they should feel free to express it and had their doors closed if they wish to do so without having someone in their back telling them it is unchristian to not give candy to kids that come to ring your doorbell. Non-sense.

Can someone fill me in on what was said? 99.999% of LDS families enjoy Halloween and are still members in good standing.

Wow, you have statistics! Please quote the sources, otherwise I would just take it as another of your spontaneous "guesses".

Going back to the topic, I do not think the Church should sponsor Halloween. It is one of those cultural holidays that seems to be taken almost doctrinal. I am perfectly fine with members celebrating it in a nice way, I just do not think Church buildings should be used for such purpose.

12th Oct, 2007 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

The Chapel is off limits. Trunk or Treat or some games in the gym is where I have always seen the events. Remember awhile back I heard things like razor blades in apples and candy spiked with poison. The hospitals were even offering services of x-raying the candy. If you do or don't believe in Halloween remember the Church was offering a alternative to the danger of Trick or Treating and not condoning or condeming. Many churches were doing the same at the time so that no child would be hurt. Traditions are hard to break. In the Book of Mormon it was worse for those who grew up in the light then for those who's traditions that prevented them from seeing the light. In all the Wards that I have been to no masks were allowed. I would say that if it is not a tradition in your Country or area then don't start. Also, remember it is not called Halloween in the Church it is called Fall Festival at least where I have been due to the implications.

That is my nickels worth. Maybe quarter due to inflation. biggrin.gif

Thank You,
Micah

Post Date: 12th Oct, 2007 - 6:05pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I could fire back and continue this debate as I was given a plethora of ammunition for which to rant about from your 3 silly replies but I will stick to the topic at hand.

I see no problem with the church sponsoring Halloween events in their parking lot or within the church building (chapel excluded of course). I see no problem with LDS families participating in these events and public ones in their neighborhood, school, and city.

I will reiterate that the church has no problem with these Halloween celebrations being hosted on their property or they would have put a stop to them long ago. Many events are not allowed on the church grounds and within the building, Halloween is not one of these prohibited events.

Rather off topic, but...
On another note- Discussion of this nature where people voice differing opinions is what makes a a good forum. Stagnant forums are those where the same members make predictable replies to subject matter few are interested in. At times discussion can become heated but the exchanging of personal ideals often is- it's the dynamics of discussion.

If someone wants to bring the discussion back down to the level of picking apart the parts of Halloween I'm all for it. I opted to surface to the topics original theme as I realize I had deviated.

19 days and counting.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Offtopic Tags so that the Thread maintains the same subject matter and does not develop into another Topic.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Oct, 2007 - 6:20pm / Post ID: #

Should Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 5

QUOTE (Hyperwrx)
I could fire back and continue this debate as I was given a plethora of ammunition for which to rant about from your 3 silly replies but I will stick to the topic at hand.

You could, but then again if you cannot without using assumptions and sarcasm then you may not reach very far. "Your 3 silly replies" sounds childish actually.

The Church requires that no masks be used and that there be adequate lighting. Therefore if a Ward is planning an activity they will need to consider what costumes are allowed, that the place has adequate lighting and that no one would do anything that would bring the Church in for a law suit such as pranks that make cause someone to have a heart attack. Additionally, if I were the Bishop I do not think I would allow the gory element to be pronounced such as costumes portraying killers, blood and gore, etc.

At times discussion can become heated but the exchanging of personal ideals often is- it's the dynamics of discussion.

Rather off topic, but...
Sure, but not everyone knows how to handle this form of Discussion which in this Community must be done in a manner that fits the Constructive Posting Policy which you agreed to upon Registration.

I opted to surface to the topics original theme as I realize I had deviated.

Rather off topic, but...
At the top of this page is a list of Related Links which Discusses Halloween outside the realm of LDS Doctrine or Policy - look them up if you want a challenge.

Post Date: 12th Oct, 2007 - 6:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 5

The Church requires that no masks be used and that there be adequate lighting. Therefore if a Ward is planning an activity they will need to consider what costumes are allowed, that the place has adequate lighting and that no one would do anything that would bring the Church in for a law suit such as pranks that make cause someone to have a heart attack.

Where did you get that criteria from? FarSeer said in this thread that the church has remained silent on the topic yet you seem to have guidelines pertaining to it.

I have heard the no masks thing, but it's just an understood detail. School is the same way.

Rather off topic, but...
I was just asked by the Stake to help create a haunted/fun house with my priest age boys for the ward in the relief society room. I was given no stipulations or guidelines. Interesting.

Reconcile Edited: Hyperwrx on 12th Oct, 2007 - 6:32pm

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (11) »

> TOPIC: Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,