Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 6 of 11

I was just wondering if anyone actually heard - Page 6 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th Oct, 2007 - 2:08am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 11 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (11) »
Considering the history behind Halloween do you think it is right that the Church encourages the activity within its' Chapels?
Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Related Information to Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween
12th Oct, 2007 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 6

The no masks and lighting comes from the Blue Handbook (CHI). The last part is based on whether your leadership has had problems in the past with law suits. If so, the leadership in your area may make a policy that certain things not be done within the Ward or Stake. For instance locally you are not allowed to use Christmas lights because it is a fire hazard. Elsewhere it may seem silly, but there is good purpose in it.

Sponsored Links:
12th Oct, 2007 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

It seems like the criteria and guidelines for Halloween events change from location to location. Mathman said where he lives the parking lot and the gym is used and they were guidelines of what type of costumes to wear, etc. Hyperwrs was asked to do a haunted house in the Relief Society Room with no stipulations whatsoever and I am pretty sure the cultural hall is usually used as well. It all boils down to the leadership.

12th Oct, 2007 - 6:56pm / Post ID: #

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Studies Doctrine Mormon

The only official guidelines are based on lighting and no wearing of masks, so everything else is up to the leadership and since the leadership of the Church is a lay Ministry it is expected that each area will have a different thinking as to what is acceptable and what is not and for a policy about it as they are entitled to.

Keep in mind that some Church buildings have a dual purpose room - on Sundays it is the Sacrament Meeting Room and other days of the week it is a Cultural Hall. Notice the name - 'Cultural' Hall.

Post Date: 12th Oct, 2007 - 7:09pm / Post ID: #

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween
A Friend

Page 6 Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

Based on the church making guidelines to it's leadership concerning Halloween events within its buildings and on it's premises I would venture to say the church is OK with the general observance of the holiday of Halloween.

12th Oct, 2007 - 7:29pm / Post ID: #

Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

QUOTE (Hyperwrx)
Based on the church making guidelines to it's leadership concerning Halloween events within its buildings and on it's premises...

The Church has not made guidelines concerning Halloween. What it has done is made general guidelines about what is not acceptable within its buildings and then the rest is left up to the good judgment of the local leadership. Hence as in Mathman's case the leadership there chose to call it something else.

15th Oct, 2007 - 4:23pm / Post ID: #

I simply think Halloween can be a fun thing not only for the adults but for the kids, but then there are to many people that take a cute thing and destroy it, like grossing things up to much, and in this it hurts the thought patterns of a brain, but if the family can help the child understand that there is a devil as well as help threw the doing of good and staying away from the demonic stuff then it JUST might be ok.

I decorate my house and living room up to look like a monster or pirate thing yet when the kids come to the door they see that there is a normal guy, this helps them see that in the mission field looks can be deceiving. and that there might be a nice family waiting in a rubble of a shack waiting for the gospel.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Oct, 2007 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 6

Well We did all the fall/winder celebrations big at our home beginning with the opening of football season. There was a veritable cornucopia of edible fast foods and tasty dips on which to pig out and then there would be all the yelling and screaming and .... Ah but it was just the beginning.

HALLOWEEN was festively creepy. But why? I went through a couple of stages where I felt sort of funny about HALLOWEEN. I was not sure about it. But then I had children. I realized HALLOWEEN was really a good way to play with my children as well as to gradually introduce them to the realities of live and death. Every ward I have ever been in has held "Trunk-or-Treat" events...and some have had chili and game parties at the same time. Most keep the building's open. Closing a building over a senseless prank would be ridiculous. The logical conclusion would be to ask for volunteers to provide some security measures if necessary. The point is, the kids enjoy the opportunity to pretend to be something they are not. They get 364 days a year of reality so one day in which they fantasize isn't a bad thing. Psychologically it's sort of healthy I think to remind children that life COULD BE a whole lot scarier than it generally is.

Rather off topic, but...
THANKSGIVING - is when we celebrate thanks to GOD for all he has given us, either in abundance for our pleasure and strength, or for the great gift of life if it is all we have. Thanksgiving is for us whether we have great wealth or considerable poverty. Either is a gift for our good from God, a gift we receive for this life.

CHRISTMAS was also a pagan holiday celebrating the winter soltice. So Catholics morphed it into the Savior's birth and so a saintly man who represented the magi ended up as Santa Claus and his powerful gift of charity became dispensed on the eve of the Savior's birth. Who cares, for Peter said, "Charity covereth a multitude of sins." What is Christmas about? It's teaching is of the pure love of GOD, that HE created us and yet in all his glory, with all his attended power and station, his creation (US) was worthy of Salvation, so much so that he came to earth, humbled by infancy, matured by childhood and adolescence, reared with family, strengthened through adversity, and walked WITH we whom he loved. He brought us all, saint and sinner alike to the cross with him and he bid us to watch him shed the mantle of perfection for dross and torturous death on our behalf. He condescended beneath ALL THINGS just to complete us and make us all whole again with him. Christmas is about Charity and the celebration of it's greatest advent - that God would dwell with us and live a life as we. How great is that?

DEATH-to-LIFE HOLIDAYS. I see no problem with beginning the holiday season with a day that shows us that our lives will end in death, reminds us that there are living souls beyond the grave who's light has not been extinguished. Then we are to give thanksgiving for life itself and finally, in a totally Morkish "life lived in reverse" manner we celebrate the Birth of he who overcomes death for one and all, the life of the Savior, a LIFE for whom we truly celebrate a Thanksgiving in November no matter what we have. I think these three holidays were put together for us or fall together for us precisely so that we can appreciate coming from our dead state to a new life, a new birth through the Gospel.

IN THE END, These HOLIDAYS are what YOU decide they will be. That is what they are for me. Death, Thanksgiving for life and redemption, and then Birth and all things fulfilled in pure love. From death to life...it's a good way for us to look at it. That's my take and I am sticking too it.

That and I love the opening of Football Season (laugh.gif).

Reconcile Message Edited...
LDS_forever: Please use offtopic tags for offtopic remarks. Thanks.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 15th Oct, 2007 - 6:46pm

20th Oct, 2007 - 2:08am / Post ID: #

Should Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 6

I was just wondering if anyone actually heard an announcement yet for some kind of halloween activity. I havent.

> TOPIC: Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,