Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 2 of 11

Undoubtable Satan has distorted the meaning - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Oct, 2006 - 12:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (11) »
Considering the history behind Halloween do you think it is right that the Church encourages the activity within its' Chapels?
Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Related Information to Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween
Post Date: 8th Oct, 2003 - 7:44pm / Post ID: #

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween
A Friend

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 2

In a simple answer "no". What does halloween encourage? Well its like in Moses time the Israelites want to serve god at their own way and pace anything that is questionable must not be practised under the roof of a dedicated chapel. Elder M. Russell Ballard said in conference just concluded the great sin is when good men stand by and do nothing. Also Pres. Packer speaking about standards said that the brethren must not yield and they will not yield.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Oct, 2006 - 4:19pm / Post ID: #

Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

Halloween is nothing as it was centuries ago. So we shouldn't even treat it the same. Today it is a holiday to have FUN. Is there anything wrong with having some fun? I agree that you shouldn't let your children dress up in evil costumes, but what's the problem people? Anyone who goes to a church halloween event knows we don't worship satan, or do dark rituals and all that. They don't even allow masks to be worn! So for crying out loud, let the children have some fun and don't take it all away from them because you have to just keep analyzing it to death.
Angela

Post Date: 4th Oct, 2006 - 11:40am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think it all depends on your perception of the holiday. If you celebrate it in a dark way, which is unholy, I think that's wrong. So far I've only see harmless, fun activities which bring people together celebrated in our ward.

Post Date: 5th Oct, 2006 - 10:53pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

WoW, I didn't realize the history behind halloween. Somewhere in my studies when I was younger I remember reading that some even attribute some of the practices of halloween to some Egyptian practices, like the food. In ancient Egypt it's been said that once a year the Egyptians would leave food outside their door for the anciestors to eat. If this is true or not I don't know. Food for thought.

Post Date: 25th Oct, 2006 - 5:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

The thing is, in the US at least, most people don't think of Halloween in a spiritual or religious or anti-spiritual or anti-religious way.  The average person here probably has no idea the origins of the holiday.  It is just a fun time to carve pumpkins, have parties and go Trick or Treating

Halloween to most who "celebrate" it is about nothing more than fun costumes and yummy candy. I think having functions as wards is much safer, and provides a much better environment for the children.
I think that having ward Halloween parties is a better alternative to trick or treating.

25th Oct, 2006 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

Superme said:

Halloween to most who "celebrate" it is about nothing more than fun costumes and yummy candy.

But now that you know the origins and meaning of Halloween (by reading this thread) does it change at all how you feel about it?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Oct, 2006 - 10:27am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 2

To be honest, I don't feel as "into" Halloween as I used to. I walk through the aisles at Wal-Mart and feel like I don't want to be a part of it. I used to be really into scaring people and watching scary movies, but even the thought of it just turns me away now. Maybe it's important to observe the concept of avoiding "even the appearance of evil"... and be something fun for Halloween like a clown or a princess. Well, some people think clowns are evil too.

Post Date: 26th Oct, 2006 - 12:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Undoubtable Satan has distorted the meaning of the original purpose of the holiday. The scary movies, costumes, pranks, and rituals are a result of that. However, I still think ward parties are a better ALTERNATIVE to trick or treating. The atmosphere can be much more wholesome and beneficial than going door to door.
I go to such functions to fellowship and spend time with the children of the ward and watch them play games and have fun.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (11) »

> TOPIC: Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,